Trajectory of Centre of Mass: Sphere on Plank with Burnt String

In summary: The centre of mass of the hemisphere will move in a straight line vertically downwards as there is no net horizontal force acting on it. In summary, the problem presents a plank with a rough lower surface and a smooth upper surface. A smooth hemisphere is placed on the upper surface of the plank, connected by a light string. The question asks for the trajectory of the centre of mass of the sphere after the string is burnt. The upper surface of the plank and the lower surface of the hemisphere are both smooth, meaning there is no horizontal force between them. This results in the centre of mass of the hemisphere moving in a straight line vertically downwards after the string is cut, as there is no net horizontal force acting on it. The answer to the question
AdityaDev

Homework Statement

Lower surface of a plank is rough and is initially at rest on a horizontal floor. It's upper surface is smooth and has a smooth hemisphere place over it through a light string as shown. Find the trajectory of centre of mass of the sphere after the string is burnt.
WP_20150213_12_56_52_Pro.jpg

Homework Equations

Nothing special here.
I think the question is testing some concept.
$$y_{cm}=R/2$$
X cm is zero.
{for hemisphere}

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the hemisphere is smooth,the velocity of the centre of the flat surface will be zero and its centre of mass will rotate about that point.(wrt plank).
Here since centre of mass of the system changes.so the plank will also move.
But there is friction between the plank and surface. Can you help me find its trajectory?

Attachments

• WP_20150213_13_03_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150213_13_03_04_Pro.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 651
Physics news on Phys.org
The upper surface of the plank and the lower surface of the hemisphere are smooth - So how would the hemisphere apply a horizontal force on the plank?

CWatters said:
The upper surface of the plank and the lower surface of the hemisphere are smooth - So how would the hemisphere apply a horizontal force on the plank?
The horizontal surface will exert a force because that part has friction.

AdityaDev said:
The horizontal surface will exert a force because that part has friction.

The lower surface of the plank is rough but there is no friction between the hemisphere and the upper surface of the plank because it says...

AdityaDev said:
It's upper surface is smooth and has a smooth hemisphere place over it

Note that I said...

How would the hemisphere apply a horizontal force on the plank?

Likes Iceberry
The hemisphere will just exert normal reaction force.

Correct. The plank and hemisphere only exert a normal/vertical force on each other.

If there is no net horizontal force acting on the hemisphere what does that mean for the motion of the hemisphere in the horizontal plane?

Likes Iceberry
CWatters said:
Correct. The plank and hemisphere only exert a normal/vertical force on each other.

If there is no net horizontal force acting on the hemisphere what does that mean for the motion of the hemisphere in the horizontal plane?
The hemisphere is at rest. But it's centre of mass rotates about some point.

How did you find ##y_{cm}=R/2## ? Could you elaborate ?

BvU said:
How did you find ##y_{cm}=R/2## ? Could you elaborate ?
I just leared the formula. the answer is straight line. but I don't know how to find thetrajectory.

I am very sorry. Y_cm = 3R/8. the other is for hemispherical shell.

The problem statement doesn't ask you to write any equations. You don't need to do that to solve the problem and deduce that the answer is a straight line. As you said they are just testing your understanding of a concept.

AdityaDev said:
The hemisphere is at rest. But it's centre of mass rotates about some point.

That might be correct but I suspect not in the way you are thinking.

The centre of mass is at rest before the string is cut. The net horizontal force on the hemisphere is zero. So what does that mean for the movement of the centre of mass in the horizontal plane after the string is cut? Hint: Think conservation of momentum & Newton's laws.

Likes Iceberry
I'm away from my PC for a few days so may not get back to this thread for awhile. In the meantime...

Do you think the straight line is vertical, horizontal, or at some angle and why? If unsure see last part of my post #11.

Likes Iceberry
CWatters said:
I'm away from my PC for a few days so may not get back to this thread for awhile. In the meantime...

Do you think the straight line is vertical, horizontal, or at some angle and why? If unsure see last part of my post #11.
straight line. the centre of mass will move vertically downwards since there is no horizontal force.

AdityaDev said:
straight line. the centre of mass will move vertically downwards since there is no horizontal force.

Correct.

1. What is the trajectory of the center of mass?

The trajectory of the center of mass refers to the path that the center of mass of an object takes as it moves through space. It is the average location of all the mass of the object.

2. How is the trajectory of the center of mass calculated?

The trajectory of the center of mass is calculated by taking the sum of the individual masses of all the parts of an object multiplied by their respective distances from a chosen reference point, and then dividing by the total mass of the object. This gives the coordinates of the center of mass at any given time.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of the center of mass?

The trajectory of the center of mass is affected by the mass distribution of the object, the external forces acting on the object, and the initial conditions of its motion. It can also be affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction.

4. How does the trajectory of the center of mass change with time?

The trajectory of the center of mass changes with time as the object moves and experiences external forces. If the external forces are balanced, the center of mass will move in a straight line at a constant velocity. If the forces are unbalanced, the center of mass will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. Why is the trajectory of the center of mass important in physics?

The trajectory of the center of mass is important in physics because it allows us to analyze the motion of an object as a whole, rather than considering each individual particle separately. It also helps us understand the effects of external forces on an object and how these forces can cause changes in its motion. Additionally, the concept of center of mass is fundamental in many areas of physics, including mechanics, kinematics, and dynamics.