Plot Trajectory of Particle - Get Help Now

In summary, you should first calculate the x and y vectors and plot y against x. Then, you should calculate the tangential and centripetal accelerations.
peripatein
Hello,

How may I plot the trajectory of a particle whose movement vectors are given as:
x(t) = Rwt - Rsin(wt)
y(t) = R - Rcos(wt)

I have tried squaring both x and y and adding them, to infer some sort of circular trajectory, to no avail. Could someone please assist/make a suggestion?

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't mention in what plotting program (matlab,scilab, gnuplot) but usually, you need to create a vector of values for time first, then calculate the x and y vectors and plot y against x.
e.g. in MATLAB and scilab you do:
t=0:0.1:10
x=t-sin(t)
y=1-cos(t)
plot(x,y)

I am not supposed to use any program, simply infer the general scheme of the trajectory from the equations. Any ideas?

OK, then do this:

start from t=0 to get the starting point (x,y).
Then, knowing that (x,y)=(-Rsin(t),-Rcos(t)) describes a circle of radius R, what will happen if every y-value is moved up by R? You simply translate your circle.

Then, what happens if every x-value is moved right by Rt? It will not be a circle anymore. For instance, the end-point at t=2*pi (when w=1) will have moved to x=R*2*pi. You can take one or two other t-values to get the shape.

I have taken w=1, but it is easy to generalize the above approach.

Supposing now that the particle's trajectory is given by at^2+bt, where units of a are m/s^2 and units of b are m/s. How am I to calculate its tangential and centripetal accelerations? I know that the radial acceleration is equal to r*w^2 but what about the tangential acceleration and how is all of that related to the trajectory as given with parameters a and b? Do I simply differentiate twice wrt t?

1. What is meant by "plot trajectory of particle"?

Plotting the trajectory of a particle refers to graphing or mapping out the path that a particle follows over a period of time. This allows for visualization and analysis of the particle's movement and can provide valuable information about its velocity, acceleration, and other characteristics.

2. How is the trajectory of a particle calculated?

The trajectory of a particle is calculated using equations of motion, such as Newton's laws of motion, along with initial position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle. These parameters can be obtained through experiments or simulations and used to plot the particle's trajectory.

3. What factors can affect the trajectory of a particle?

Several factors can affect the trajectory of a particle including initial velocity, acceleration, air resistance, gravity, and external forces such as friction. These factors can cause the particle to deviate from a straight path and result in a curved trajectory.

4. Why is it important to plot the trajectory of a particle?

Plotting the trajectory of a particle is important for understanding its motion and behavior. It can help in predicting the path of the particle and identifying any potential hazards or obstacles in its path. The trajectory can also provide valuable data for analysis and further research.

5. Are there any tools or software available for plotting the trajectory of a particle?

Yes, there are various tools and software available for plotting the trajectory of a particle. These include graphing calculators, simulation software, and coding languages such as Python and MATLAB. These tools can help in visualizing and analyzing the particle's motion and provide accurate trajectory plots.