1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trajectory Problem using Newton's Formulas

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    Hey. I was not sure if I could post this somewhere else, since this has nothing to do with homework or anything like that.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a newtonian world:
    Determine the position of object two, being x, z spatial coordinates and y a time one relative to object 1. Object 1 is (0; y; 0). The objects are at d distance of course. The colision of the objects can be ignored. Also "o2" is moving at v m/s in the same directon as the vectour (0;1;0).
    For the sake of simplicity I'll give the variables values.

"O1"(0; y; 0)
    "02"( 0; 0; 10^10)
    d=10^10
    "M1"=10^7
    "M2"=10^7 (not sure if this matters but oh well...)
    v=10^3 m/s

2. Relevant equations
    f=[("M1"+"M2")/d^2]*6,67*10^-11
    a=f/M

Being:
    a(m/s/s)=acceleration
    f(N)=force
    M(kg)=mass
    d(m)=distance
    v(m/s)=speed
    "M1"(kg)=mass of object one
    "M2"(kg)=mass of object two
    "O1"=object one
    "O2"=object two

3. The attempt at a solution (not)
    This problem would require a bit of time for me to solve, because I'd have to come up with some formulas on my own. Everytime I sit down to try this I get distracted. So I hope someone could show me the deduction of the formula that gives the position of "O2". Something like f(y)="O2"(x, y, z)

Thank you

PS:In case I forgot to add some info tell me.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted