"Trajectory" question for my novel

In summary, a person's career can be compared to an object on a trajectory, which can be interrupted or changed by an event. In terms of physics, this event could be referred to as a "perturbation," "collision," "deflection," "scattering," "disruption," or "dislocation." However, it may be more effective to use a different metaphor, such as being intercepted, falling into a crevasse, or riding big waves at Mavericks.
msjhord
I am in the midst of penning a novel and need help with a physical analogy. I've scoured google for an answer and, perhaps because I have a headache right now, my eyeballs are swimming. So, I figured I should come here and ask.

An object (in this case, a person's career) is on a trajectory. That trajectory is interrupted by an event (in this case, a workplace shooting). In physics terms, what would that event be? Or should I find a different analogy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

You could call it a "perturbation" of the trajectory, although I'm not sure that's a soft enough word for a novel...

Collision.

Sorry, but your question has nothing to do with physics.

@Orodruin, perhaps not. But objects on trajectories are a PHYSICS thing, right? I just want to make sure I'm using the correct terminology since my narrator is a pediatrician. As a person of science, she would use the correct term. Plus, I don't want physics folk to read this years from now and snicker at my incorrect term use.

Orodruin said:
Sorry, but your question has nothing to do with physics.
Thread moved to the General Discussion forum. :smile:

msjhord said:
But objects on trajectories are a PHYSICS thing, right?
Yes, but a carreer is not a physical object that follows a trajectory. The colloquial use of the word is more loose.

(holds her head, mutters 'oy vey') Yeah, I know. It's just a comparison between the physical and figurative.

I'm with Borek. Collision sounds good to me.

msjhord said:
An object (in this case, a person's career) is on a trajectory. That trajectory is interrupted by an event (in this case, a workplace shooting). In physics terms, what would that event be? Or should I find a different analogy?
If the event ends up changing the trajectory of their career, you could call it a "deflection"...

Likes Nik_2213
msjhord said:
trajectory is interrupted by an event
"Interruption."

Likes Nik_2213
It's more of a terminal thing. Her career is on a path. The event happens and she abandons the path to take up another.

How about scattering (event)?

msjhord said:
It's more of a terminal thing. Her career is on a path. The event happens and she abandons the path to take up another.

Here are some possibilities: http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/collision?s=t
Most of those should be perfectly viable.

Thank you

Drakkith said:
Most of those should be perfectly viable.
These synonyms are good, but not all of them, thud e.g., are within OP's constraint of "physics terms."

Yeah, I want a physics term, but not one that is so far beyond an elementary understanding of it. Most people don't want to have dictionary.com pulled up while they're reading a book. I happen to be one of the few who doesn't mind because I love learning new words.

msjhord said:
Disruption

Oooh, I think I like that one.

@phinds is often a disruption... :biggrin:

Likes Bystander and phinds
I appreciate this help. I'm 41 years old and have an Associates in Business Administration that, working as a cashier for this country's largest retailer (no, not Amazon, though I wish), I never use. Because I discovered, after ten years of office work that I HATE it. So, when I'm not working and being wife and mom, I am either sleeping, reading, or writing. I have never taken a physics course in my life, unless ninth grade physical science counts. I understand some of the principles, but a lot of it sails RIGHT over my head or makes my eyes glaze over.

berkeman said:
OOOH BOY do you owe me for that setup :smile:

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
While we are in the realm of dis, how about dislocation? :biggrin: :biggrin:

msjhord said:
An object (in this case, a person's career) is on a trajectory.
As written, this isn't a good metaphor. A trajectory is just an arc of some kind. The person's career could be following an upward trajectory (which I think is what you're trying to convey), or it could be on a downward trajectory, due to one or more events in the person's life.

kuruman said:
These synonyms are good, but not all of them, thud e.g., are within OP's constraint of "physics terms."

Isn't 'thud' the 13th derivative of 'slam'?

Drakkith said:
Isn't 'thud' the 13th derivative of 'slam'?
Now that you mention it, 'thud' would be a physics term after all, but I think you got the incorrect order of derivative. The sequence of derivatives is 'slam', 'dunk', 'oops', 'thud', 'splat'.

Likes Drakkith
msjhord said:

"Radiative Capture"
Neutron on a trajectory collides with nucleus; gamma comes out...

too technical, I know...

The image/word that comes to mind is intercepted. The image/word that comes to mind is intercepted. The picture was an intercontinental missile (career) being shot down by interceptor missile (event)

Mark44 said:
As written, this isn't a good metaphor.
Good point. Maybe we should try to help her with alternative metaphors? :smile:

There is the metaphor of climbing a mountain in the winter, and falling into a crevasse...

Or the Metaphor of riding big waves at Mavericks, and then... o0)

1. What is a trajectory in the context of your novel?

A trajectory, in the context of my novel, refers to the path or course taken by a character or event throughout the story. It can also refer to the overall direction or progression of the plot.

2. How does the concept of trajectory relate to the theme of your novel?

The concept of trajectory is closely tied to the theme of my novel, as it reflects the idea that our choices and actions can lead us down a certain path or determine our ultimate fate. It also highlights the idea of cause and effect, as each character's trajectory is impacted by their past decisions and experiences.

3. Can you give an example of a character's trajectory in your novel?

Sure! One character in my novel, named Sarah, begins as a naive and innocent young woman. However, as she faces challenges and makes difficult decisions, her trajectory takes her down a darker and more complex path, ultimately leading to her transformation into a strong and resilient individual.

4. How does the trajectory of the main character change throughout the novel?

The main character's trajectory undergoes several shifts throughout the novel. At the beginning, they may have a clear goal or path in mind, but as they encounter obstacles and make choices, their trajectory may change and lead them in unexpected directions. By the end of the novel, the main character's trajectory will likely have evolved and impacted their growth and development.

5. Is the trajectory of the plot predetermined or can it change based on character decisions?

The trajectory of the plot is a combination of both predetermined elements and character decisions. While the overall direction of the plot may be mapped out by the author, the choices and actions of the characters can also influence and alter the trajectory. This adds depth and unpredictability to the story, making it more engaging for readers.