1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trajectory question, Projectile lands at a different height than it was fired from.

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, I need to solve a problem which involves a projectile being fired at a target that is at a different height. Given a firing angle, the distance the projectile needs to needs to travel and gravity, i need to compute the flight time and initial velocity needed to reach the target. I don't have and specific problem with specific numbers to work with but I can just toss out an example.

A projectile is being fired at 45 degrees, at a target 2000 meters away and 500 meters off of the ground.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The difference in height is completely throwing me off.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2
    Re: Trajectory question, Projectile lands at a different height than it was fired fro

See pic below. I'm still a school student, and this may or may not be right. But remember that the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity are the same value in this case, because of exact trig values.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.1ea980badd.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook