Understanding Trampoline Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is discussing the mechanics of a trampoline and how forces and momentum are involved when someone jumps on it. There are also assumptions and approximations that can be made to simplify the understanding of the trampoline's dynamics. It is also noted that the Earth experiences a recoil when someone jumps on a trampoline, and the conservation of momentum is still applicable in this scenario.
ojsimon
Hi

I'm just trying to understand the mechanics of a trampoline, as i think it will better understand my understanding of mechanics as a whole. This is my model:

We have some plastic fabric which we will assume is inelastic. A circular trampoline where we have 30 identical springs which are in parallel? If we assume that the force. I have a few questions about how this will work.

Obviously when someone jumps on it a force is applied to the trampoline fabric which passes it on to the springs. the springs are stretched and exibit an extension (x) which is proportional to the force applied. The inverse of the total spring constant of the system (K) would be equal to the inverse of the sum of all the individual springs (30k) so 1/K =1/30k.

Secondly when a person lands on the trampoline they have a momentum of Mv and the trampoline has a momentum of 0, obviously this is an inelastic collision as kinetic energy is lost by air resistance, friction etc. But i don't understand then how this follows the conservation of momentum, surely when the person leaves the fabric they are going to be slower that before, so where does the rest of the momentum go. I can't see any recoil on my trampoline.

If anyone can help me on this question and tell me where my thinking or assumptions have gone wrong i would be very appreciative.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ojsimon said:
But i don't understand then how this follows the conservation of momentum, surely when the person leaves the fabric they are going to be slower that before, so where does the rest of the momentum go. I can't see any recoil on my trampoline.
Forget trampolines for a moment. You're standing still on the ground and then suddenly jump up with some momentum. How is that possible?

Doesn't the Earth recoil very very slightly?

Solving trampoline exactly is extremely difficult. But you can make some approximations to make it relatively simple.

The springs around the trampoline are pre-stretched some distance, compared to which the change is going to be small. So I would suggest treating it as a constant force that results in tension in the surface.

Next assumption would be to say that deflections are small compared to diameter of trampoline. That is, the angles of the surface are always small. That's probably going to be the worst of the assumptions.

Finally, assume that height of the perimeter is fixed.

Putting it all together will give you a 2-dimensional wave equation with circular boundary. You will need Bessel Functions to solve that. You can find some discussion of it in this Wikipedia article. First, find homogeneous solution (nobody on the trampoline) and then figure out what adding a weight to it is going to do.

The dynamics you get out of this should be very similar to real trampoline.

Precisely. Now picture that you aren't standing on ground directly, but rather on something that rests on the ground. Then extrapolate to case of trampoline.

Ok sounds a bit to complex for me then, but thanks anyway.

ojsimon said:
Absolutely. The total momentum of you + Earth remains the same. The same force that propels you upward, pushes the Earth away.

It's the same basic idea with the trampoline.

You also have to remember that each time you bounce you put more energy into the system with your muscles. Adding your momentum to the muscular interaction gives increasing bounce height.

Side note - a competition trampoline has minimal air resistance. In the case of a "ozzie" (Australian) "bed", the surface resembles a net, and it's somewhat elastic.

Back to the momentum issue, the center of mass of the earth, trampoline, and person remains the same, along with the linear momentum. Angular momentum is also conserved, any change in angular momentum the person experiences coexists with an equal and opposing change in angular momentum of trampoline and earth.

1. How does a trampoline work?

The basic principle of a trampoline is that it uses the elasticity of a fabric or a series of springs to propel a person into the air when they jump onto it. When a person jumps onto the trampoline, their weight compresses the fabric or springs, storing potential energy. As they push down and then release, this energy is converted into kinetic energy, propelling them upwards.

2. What factors affect the bounce of a trampoline?

The bounce of a trampoline is affected by several factors, including the type and quality of the fabric or springs used, the weight and force applied by the person jumping, and the tension of the fabric or springs. The height and shape of the trampoline and the surface it is placed on can also play a role in the bounce.

3. Can trampolines be dangerous?

Like any physical activity, there is always a risk of injury with trampolines. However, with proper safety precautions and supervision, the risk can be minimized. It is important to always follow the manufacturer's guidelines and instructions for safe use of the trampoline.

4. How can I measure the bounce of a trampoline?

The bounce of a trampoline can be measured using a device called a rebound meter, which measures the height of a bounce and calculates the trampoline's coefficient of restitution. This is a measure of how much energy is lost during a bounce, with a higher coefficient indicating a more efficient bounce.

5. Are there any benefits to using a trampoline?

Yes, there are several benefits to using a trampoline, including improved balance, coordination, and cardiovascular fitness. Jumping on a trampoline also has a low-impact on joints and can be a fun and enjoyable form of exercise for people of all ages.