Prove Trancendence of e^(n/m): Int & Num Solutions

• Thread starter happyg1
  • Start date
In summary: The conclusion is NOT e^(n/m) is transcendental. The conclusion is that the roots of the polynomial of degree k are ZERO, hence the polynomial is ZERO. The proof is NO different if we replace e by z=ln(e).If the conclusion were z is transcendental then the hypothesis would be a_{1} z^{k} +a_{2}z^{k-1}+...+a_{k}z+a_{k+1}=0 \rightarrow \left\{a_{i}\right\}_{i=1}^{i=k+1}=0 \ , \ \forall a_{i}\in\mathbb{Z} \ , \forall k\in\mathbb{
Ahhhhhh...
A little caffeine and sugar help my brain a lot sometimes.
I Think I understand this now. It's almost trivial, the a^n and a algebraic thing, I'm trying to make it harder than it is.
So now I have that a^(1\m) algebraic implies a algebraic and that a^n algebraic implies a algebraic, so then a^((1\m)^n) algebraic implies a algebraic. I just need to fill in the reasoning for each step and then e^(n\m) CAN'T be algebraic.

Am I finally on target here?
CC

Physics news on Phys.org
happyg1 said:
Ahhhhhh...
I Think I understand this now. It's almost trivial, the a^n and a algebraic thing, I'm trying to make it harder than it is.
So now I have that a^(1\m) algebraic implies a algebraic and that a^n algebraic implies a algebraic, so then a^((1\m)^n) algebraic implies a algebraic. I just need to fill in the reasoning for each step and then e^(n\m) CAN'T be algebraic.

CC

Yes. Dead on target.

happyg1 said:
Ahhhhhh...

CC

Except you are still being careless with exponents. Seems to be a big day for that.
a^((1/m)^n) is not equal to (a^(1/m))^n.

Thanks for all of your patience and help on this. I learned A LOT about algebraic numbers from this problem. This stuff is SO COOL! (math nerds everywhere are cheering!)
I look back at my initial try UGGGHHHHH!
Thanks again.
CC

So what if m is negative? Then I get [tex]\frac{1}{c^{1/m}}[/tex]
Can I just refer this case to the previous case where m is not negative?
CC

You'll want to prove if c is algebraic then 1/c is. You can do it pretty directly - just solve a polynomial in c to get an expression for 1/c and argue that it is algebraic. Or if you've proved the algebraic numbers are a field, isn't it immediate?