Tranformation of the wave function

In summary, we have derived the expressions for ##\Psi'(x',t')##, E' and p' under a galilean transformation, using the formula ##\Psi'(x',t') = f(x,t)\Psi(x,t)## and the galilean transformations ##x' = x - vt## and ##t' = t##. We found that the transformed momentum and energy are given by ##p' = p-mv## and ##E' = \frac{1}{2m}(p-mv)^2##, respectively.
doggydan42

Homework Statement

$$\Psi = Ae^{\frac{i}{\hbar}(px-\frac{p^2}{2m}t)}$$
where ##p = \hbar k## and ##E = \hbar \omega = \frac{p^2}{2m}## for a nonrelativistic particle.
Find ##\Psi'(x',t')##, E' and p', under a galilean tranformation.

Homework Equations

$$\Psi'(x',t') = f(x,t)\Psi(x,t)$$
where,
$$f(x,t) = e^{\frac{i}{\hbar}(-mvx + \frac{1}{2}mv^2t)}$$

For the galilean tranformation, ##x' = x - vt## and ##t' = t##

The Attempt at a Solution

When multiplying f and ##\Psi##, the terms in the exponents will add. I am looking for the terms in the exponent that are multiplied by ##\frac{i}{\hbar}##. Since both f and ##\Psi## have ##\frac{i}{\hbar}## in the exponent, this can be factored out. So I only need to add the terms in the exponents ignoring the ##\frac{i}{\hbar}##. This gives
$$-mvx + \frac{1}{2}mv^2t+px-\frac{p^2}{2m}t$$
Since ##E= \frac{p^2}{2m} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2##, the expression becomes
$$-mvx +px$$
From the galilean tranformations, ##p=-mv##, so the expression becomes
$$2px = 2p(x'+vt') = 2px' + 2pvt'$$
I would then expect ##p' = 2p## and ##E' = 2pv##. I initially expected E' to be E and p' to be ##-p##. I know my calculated result is wrong, but I cannot figure out where I made a mistake using the tranformation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
doggydan42 said:

Homework Statement

$$\Psi = Ae^{\frac{i}{\hbar}(px-\frac{p^2}{2m}t)}$$
where ##p = \hbar k## and ##E = \hbar \omega = \frac{p^2}{2m}## for a nonrelativistic particle.
Find ##\Psi'(x',t')##, E' and p', under a galilean tranformation.

Homework Equations

$$\Psi'(x',t') = f(x,t)\Psi(x,t)$$
where,
$$f(x,t) = e^{\frac{i}{\hbar}(-mvx + \frac{1}{2}mv^2t)}$$

For the galilean tranformation, ##x' = x - vt## and ##t' = t##

The Attempt at a Solution

When multiplying f and ##\Psi##, the terms in the exponents will add. I am looking for the terms in the exponent that are multiplied by ##\frac{i}{\hbar}##. Since both f and ##\Psi## have ##\frac{i}{\hbar}## in the exponent, this can be factored out. So I only need to add the terms in the exponents ignoring the ##\frac{i}{\hbar}##. This gives
$$-mvx + \frac{1}{2}mv^2t+px-\frac{p^2}{2m}t$$
Since ##E= \frac{p^2}{2m} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2##, the expression becomes
$$-mvx +px$$
From the galilean tranformations, ##p=-mv##, so the expression becomes
$$2px = 2p(x'+vt') = 2px' + 2pvt'$$
I would then expect ##p' = 2p## and ##E' = 2pv##. I initially expected E' to be E and p' to be ##-p##. I know my calculated result is wrong, but I cannot figure out where I made a mistake using the tranformation.
Watch out, you are using the same symbols for different things, which leads to difficulties. Let's call ##E_i,p_i## the initial energy en momentum. When you do your boost, the ##mv## and ##1/2 mv^2## appearing in your ## f(x,t)## are not in general equal to the initial values so you must use different symbols to distinguish them. Also, why would you expect ##E'=E##? The kinetic energy is different in different frames.

nrqed said:
Watch out, you are using the same symbols for different things, which leads to difficulties. Let's call ##E_i,p_i## the initial energy en momentum. When you do your boost, the ##mv## and ##1/2 mv^2## appearing in your ## f(x,t)## are not in general equal to the initial values so you must use different symbols to distinguish them. Also, why would you expect ##E'=E##? The kinetic energy is different in different frames.

So if I use separate p's, then in the formula:
$$-mvx + \frac{1}{2}mv^2t+px-\frac{p^2}{2m}t = (p-mv)x + (\frac{1}{2}mv^2-\frac{p^2}{2m})t$$
After applying the galilean tranformation and some simplification, I arrived at
$$(p-mv)x' + (pv-\frac{1}{2}mv^2-\frac{p^2}{2m}) = (p-mv)x' - \frac{1}{2m}(p-mv)^2t'$$
So that gives ##p' = p-mv## and ##E' = \frac{1}{2m}(p-mv)^2##

doggydan42 said:
So if I use separate p's, then in the formula:
$$-mvx + \frac{1}{2}mv^2t+px-\frac{p^2}{2m}t = (p-mv)x + (\frac{1}{2}mv^2-\frac{p^2}{2m})t$$
After applying the galilean tranformation and some simplification, I arrived at
$$(p-mv)x' + (pv-\frac{1}{2}mv^2-\frac{p^2}{2m}) = (p-mv)x' - \frac{1}{2m}(p-mv)^2t'$$
So that gives ##p' = p-mv## and ##E' = \frac{1}{2m}(p-mv)^2##
Perfect! Do you see that this is indeed what one would expect?

nrqed said:
Perfect! Do you see that this is indeed what one would expect?
Yes, I noticed it is what you expect for the momentum and energy with a galilean tranformation. Thank you!

1. What is the wave function?

The wave function is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a system. It contains all the information about the system, including its position, momentum, and other physical properties.

2. What does the transformation of the wave function mean?

The transformation of the wave function refers to the changes in the wave function over time, which can be caused by various factors such as interactions with other particles or measurement processes.

3. How does the transformation of the wave function relate to quantum mechanics?

The transformation of the wave function is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it describes the evolution of quantum systems and their probabilistic nature. It is a key aspect of understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. Can the transformation of the wave function be predicted?

According to quantum mechanics, the transformation of the wave function is probabilistic and cannot be predicted with certainty. However, the Schrödinger equation can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain state at a given time.

5. What are some applications of the transformation of the wave function?

The transformation of the wave function is used in various fields, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum chemistry. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles in particle accelerators.