Train Collision Calculation: Red Train vs Green Train on 950 km Track"

• Thread starter brendan3eb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, two trains, one red and one green, are traveling towards each other at 72 km/h and 144 km/h respectively. When they are 950 km apart, each engineer sees the other's train and applies the brakes, which decelerate the trains at a rate of 1.0 m/s^2. Using the equation x=x0 + v0T + (1/2)(x - x0), the separation between the trains can be calculated. However, changing the units to meters and seconds can also be helpful. By splitting the problem into two equations, the distance it takes for each train to stop can be determined, and from there, the speed and separation at impact can be calculated.
brendan3eb

Homework Statement

A red train traveling at 72 km/h and a green train traveling at 144 km/h are headed toward one another along a straight, level track. When they are 950 km apart, each engineer sees the other's train and applies the brakes. The brakes decelerate each train at the rate of 1.0 m/s^2. Is there a collision? If so, what is the speed of each train at impact? If not, what is the separation between the trains when they stop?

Homework Equations

x=x0 + v0T + (1/2)(x - x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the above equation, but I could not get a reasonable answer. I changed everything to meters and seconds. Here are the changes for those units:

95 km = 950,000 m
221 km/h = 61.39 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Just split it into two equations, and find the distance it takes to stop each one.

144 km/h = 40 m/s
1.0 m/s^2 = 1 m/s^2

I would approach this problem by first breaking it down into smaller components and identifying the relevant equations and variables.

First, I would draw a diagram of the situation to visualize the problem. The red and green trains are traveling towards each other on a straight, level track. The initial separation between them is 950 km.

Next, I would identify the relevant equations that can help me solve this problem. The first equation that comes to mind is the equation for position, which is x = x₀ + v₀t + 1/2at². This equation relates the final position (x), initial position (x₀), initial velocity (v₀), acceleration (a), and time (t).

In this case, we know the initial position (950 km), initial velocity (72 km/h and 144 km/h), and acceleration (1.0 m/s²). We are trying to find the final position (separation between the trains when they stop) and time (until they stop).

To solve for the final position, we can use the equation x = x₀ + v₀t + 1/2at², where x is the final position, x₀ is the initial position (950 km), v₀ is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration. We can set up two equations, one for each train, and solve for the time (t) when the trains will stop.

For the red train:
x = 950,000 m + (72 km/h)(1000 m/1 km)(t) + 1/2(1.0 m/s²)(t²)
x = 950,000 m + (72,000 m/h)(t) + 0.5(t²)

Similarly, for the green train:
x = 950,000 m + (144 km/h)(1000 m/1 km)(t) + 1/2(1.0 m/s²)(t²)
x = 950,000 m + (144,000 m/h)(t) + 0.5(t²)

Now, we can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for t:
950,000 m + (72,000 m/h)(t) + 0.5(t²)

1. How do you calculate the collision between the red and green train on a 950 km track?

The collision between the red and green train on a 950 km track can be calculated using the formula: Collision Time = Distance between Trains / Combined Speed of Trains. This will give you the amount of time it will take for the two trains to collide.

2. What factors are taken into consideration when calculating a train collision?

When calculating a train collision, factors such as train speed, track length, acceleration, and braking distance are taken into consideration. Other factors may include weather conditions, visibility, and any potential obstructions on the track.

3. Is there a way to prevent train collisions?

Yes, there are several ways to prevent train collisions. These include implementing advanced signaling systems, using automatic train control technology, and conducting thorough train operator training. Regular maintenance and inspections of trains and tracks also play a crucial role in preventing collisions.

4. Can train collisions be predicted?

While it is not possible to predict train collisions with 100% accuracy, risk assessments and safety protocols can help identify potential collision scenarios. This can also help in implementing preventive measures to reduce the likelihood of a collision occurring.

5. What are the potential consequences of a train collision?

The consequences of a train collision can be severe and include injuries or fatalities to passengers and train operators, damage to the trains, and disruption of train services. In some cases, a train collision can also cause damage to surrounding infrastructure, leading to significant economic and environmental impacts.