1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transcendental Equation Help

1. Dec 28, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I am reading a paper where part of the solution to an equation of diffusion in a multicompartment system includes the "sum of all nonnegative roots kj of the following transcendental equation,

2*u*(cos(k)-cos(q))-k*sin(k) = 0.

Then the authors of the paper say: "Note that the roots periodically depend on the parameter q, and, for their analysis, it is sufficient ot consider 0<q<pi. In the case of small u (i.e. uMM1), all roots are close to j*pi:

k0 approximately equals 2*(u^0.5)*sin(q/2), j=0

kj approximately equals j*pi + ((2*u)/(j*pi))*(1-(-1)^j cos(q))

end quote.

Can somebody help me with this derivation? The whole statement about roots periodically depending on q is confusing because q is fixed constant of the system. Further it seems to me that if we consider the case were u<<1, then the equation simplifies to -ksin(k) = 0 whith the roots not having q or u in them at all.

What am I missing????

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted