Understanding Transcendental Equations in Multicompartment Systems

In summary, the authors of the paper discuss the sum of all nonnegative roots of a transcendental equation in a diffusion system. They note that the roots periodically depend on the parameter q and consider the case of small u where the roots are close to j*pi. The author of the paper also asks for help in understanding the derivation, specifically the fact that q is a fixed constant in the system and the simplification of the equation for small u. The expert summarizer explains that the equation is sufficient to consider values of cos(q) where 0<q<pi and that the zeroes of sin(k) are at j*pi. However, without knowing the values of k0 and kj, the expert is unable to provide further explanation.
stoucha
Hi,

I am reading a paper where part of the solution to an equation of diffusion in a multicompartment system includes the "sum of all nonnegative roots kj of the following transcendental equation,

2*u*(cos(k)-cos(q))-k*sin(k) = 0.

Then the authors of the paper say: "Note that the roots periodically depend on the parameter q, and, for their analysis, it is sufficient ot consider 0<q<pi. In the case of small u (i.e. uMM1), all roots are close to j*pi:

k0 approximately equals 2*(u^0.5)*sin(q/2), j=0

kj approximately equals j*pi + ((2*u)/(j*pi))*(1-(-1)^j cos(q))

end quote.

Can somebody help me with this derivation? The whole statement about roots periodically depending on q is confusing because q is fixed constant of the system. Further it seems to me that if we consider the case were u<<1, then the equation simplifies to -ksin(k) = 0 whith the roots not having q or u in them at all.

What am I missing?

Thanks for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We have ##2u\cos k -k\sin k = 2u \cos q##. The right hand side is periodic in ##q## and the left hand side doesn't depend on ##q## at all. Thus it is sufficient to consider all possible values of ##\cos q##, that is ##0 < q < \pi##, where I assume ##q\neq 0## for other reasons.

Next we have ##\cos k -\dfrac{k}{2u}\sin k = \cos q##. If ##u << 1## then the quotient is large, i.e. ##\sin k## has to be close to zero, for otherwise we would leave the range ##[-1,1]## given by the right hand side. Now the zeroes of ##\sin k## are the points ##j\pi##.

Since you haven't said what k0 and kj are, I can't explain those.

What is a transcendental equation?

A transcendental equation is an equation that contains at least one transcendental function, such as trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions. These equations cannot be solved algebraically and often require numerical methods to find solutions.

Why are transcendental equations important?

Transcendental equations are important in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, and biology. They can be used to model natural phenomena and solve real-world problems that cannot be described by simple algebraic equations.

What techniques are used to solve transcendental equations?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve transcendental equations, including numerical methods such as iteration, root-finding algorithms, and graphing. In some cases, transcendental equations can also be approximated by series expansions.

How can I determine if a transcendental equation has solutions?

There is no general method for determining if a transcendental equation has solutions, but there are some techniques that can be used to estimate the number of solutions. These include graphing the equation, applying the intermediate value theorem, and using calculus to analyze the behavior of the equation.

Are there any special considerations when solving transcendental equations?

Yes, there are a few things to keep in mind when solving transcendental equations. First, the solutions may not always be real numbers and may involve complex numbers. Additionally, some equations may have infinite or multiple solutions. It is important to carefully check the domain of the equation and consider any restrictions on the variables.