Is Transcending Relativism Possible?

In summary, transcending relativism is a complex and ongoing philosophical debate. Relativism posits that there is no absolute truth and that all perspectives and beliefs are equally valid. However, some argue that it is possible to transcend relativism by acknowledging and accepting the existence of objective truths and universal values. Others argue that attempting to transcend relativism ultimately leads to a rejection of diverse perspectives and a dangerous imposition of one's own beliefs onto others. Ultimately, the possibility of transcending relativism remains a contested and nuanced topic with no clear consensus.
E-PS
Greetings Folks,

I expect to be interested to post profound news here in a few days.

Together with trimmings, it will come in very few lines.

So it probably will not take much of your time to decide whether you are interested or not.

I hope you do not find such an engagement to be unacceptable.

E-PS
27364_100000670941367_8623_q.jpg

Attachments

• 27364_100000670941367_8623_q.jpg
    27364_100000670941367_8623_q.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 268
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, Greg.

Likes berkeman
Regarding relativity its very very hard to attack because its basis is symmetry virtually nobody would doubt.

Certainly, within our rules, you can post about it, but I would first become acquainted with the following based on the symmetry I mentioned to see if it stacks up against it:
http://www2.physics.umd.edu/~yakovenk/teaching/Lorentz.pdf

Thanks
Bill

Hi Bill,

I only noticed your post an Hour ago. I do not know if it was subsequent to Dale’s or not, though the time seems to say it was prior.

In any case, given the delay in noticing it, I am replying:

Regarding relativity its very very hard to attack because its basis is symmetry virtually nobody would doubt.

I have already replied to this “symmetry” stuff, to bhobba. I recommend that you read it (again).

The thread title does not say attacking or attempting to transcend Relativity, it says: transcending it.

When one has cut down a tree and made a ladder and climbed out of a hole, it is not “very very hard” to “attack” getting out.

How to climb out is easily explained and the directions are easy to follow, especially when a present is being made of the ladder.

This was implied in my thread opening post:

Together with trimmings, it will come in very few lines.

So, let’s see where we go from here.

E-PS

What is "Transcending Relativism"?

Transcending Relativism is a philosophical concept that refers to the idea of moving beyond the belief that truth and morality are subjective and relative to an individual's perspective or culture. It suggests that there are objective truths and moral principles that can be discovered and understood.

Why is "Transcending Relativism" important?

Transcending Relativism is important because it allows for a deeper understanding and exploration of universal truths and moral principles. It challenges individuals to critically examine their own beliefs and values, and to consider alternative perspectives. It also promotes open-mindedness and tolerance towards others.

How can one "Transcend Relativism"?

Transcending Relativism can be achieved through critical thinking, self-reflection, and exposure to diverse perspectives and cultures. It involves questioning one's own beliefs and biases, and being open to considering different viewpoints and evidence. It also requires a willingness to engage in respectful dialogue and discourse with others.

What are the potential drawbacks of "Transcending Relativism"?

One potential drawback of Transcending Relativism is that it can be difficult to fully let go of one's own cultural and personal biases. It also requires a certain level of intellectual and emotional maturity to engage in respectful dialogue and consider alternative perspectives. Additionally, some may argue that there are certain moral principles that are inherently relative and cannot be universally applied.

How does "Transcending Relativism" relate to science?

Transcending Relativism is closely related to science as it promotes critical thinking, evidence-based reasoning, and the pursuit of objective truths. In science, the goal is to discover universal laws and principles that govern the natural world, and this aligns with the idea of transcending relativism and moving towards objectivity. However, it is important to acknowledge that science is also subject to biases and limitations, and therefore, the pursuit of objectivity is an ongoing process.