Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transcriptional start sites are called promoters

1. Jan 14, 2004 #1
    I know that transcriptional start sites are called promoters. My professor made reference to a "core promoter" on a day that I missed class (looking at notes from that day). I am not familiar with this terminology, can anyone help me out here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2004 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The core promoter is the element for specific initiation of transcription wheres as the promoter is DNA region which also contain transcription factor binding sites similar to enhancers.
    I have only seen core promoter used for eucarya type of transcription but it could also be for bacteria and archea.

4. Jan 14, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: terminology

TSSs are not promotors, the region upstream and including TSS is a promotor. I guess the core promotor would describe the most important elements for transcription to take place, such as a TATA box and the ATG.

5. Jan 15, 2004 #4
    Re: Re: terminology

You are right. I don't know what I was thinking...brain lapse I guess.[zz)] Ian pretty much hit on the head with the core promoter thing. I actually found it in my textbook. If you haven't looked at 'em already, the "Genes" books by Lewin are excellent.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  6. Jan 15, 2004 #5

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

This is more like it. Bring on more threads like this. Thanks for the great question Rockind78. Easy enough for Ian and Monique to answer, but important enough for people like me to need a little revision in

I'm going to start up a thread which we sort of had in the old PF, the Molecular Biology Q and A. The old version was more like a game, like, ask a question you knew the answer to, just to see if someone else knew it, or knew something better...

This time I think we will make it a free for all....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?