1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer Advice (Who should I ask and what should I be asking?)

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    I'm looking to transfer out of my university to a school which will give me an opportunity to do some sort of research I'd be interested in (my current school does not offer any research in physics). I was wondering if anybody could help me with who I should be asking for advice, I understand that coming to the forum with a question like "Should I choose school A or school B" wouldn't help as much as asking people who've gone there or visiting etc. Still, I'm not sure who I *should* be asking, or really, what questions I should be asking.

For example, I'm considering Case Western Reserve [more than likely won't attend due to cost, but that's another matter] because my (basic) research on the school shows that they have people researching topics I'm interested in. . .but I'm not sure how I should follow up this.
    I had never heard of the school until I googled around for schools and found it, so I don't really know much about it. I understand that rating websites don't have to reflect the quality of a physics program so I'm guessing I shouldn't really rely on those and I'm not sure where I should get more info about the programs they have. I have looked at their website a bit, but it's not that helpful.
    Would it be appropriate to ask if anyone had any experience with a particular school here, or should that be in General Discussion? This isn't the only school I'm considering, but it's a good example of my lack of information.

Thanks for your time,
    Elwin

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted