1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer force

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    hello. thanks for viewing my post. I want to know if there is a way to identify an equivalent force if I transfer the original force to a new location. is that possible? ill give an example.

position of original force ----------(known distance)--------------------- desired new position of force

do you need to use moments or equilibrium equations. or is it even possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not possible to answer that without more details of the situation. For example:

If this was the force needed to push a car along a road it might be the same in both places.

If this was the force needed to balance a seesaw (teeter-totter) then it might depend on the position of the force relative to the pivot.

Usually it is possible to calculate the equivalent force. If you wish to apply a torque to a wheel nut you can do it with a short or long wrench. It's relatively easy calculate the different force required on the end of each wrench to achieve the same torque.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook