1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer from Calstate to a UC

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    Hello,
    I am currently a sophomore at Cal State Fullerton. I ended up here after a high school career in which I did not apply myself and had no real passion in any academic field. My freshman year I attained a 3.71 gpa (4.0 second semester) and completed Calc 2 and 3, as well as a physics course in mechanics. I plan on taking the next two physics courses next year (e&m/waves), as well as linear algebra, differential equations, differential geometry, and another upper division math course tbd (going for a minor in math). Assuming I keep my gpa within the 3.7-3.8 range, would I have a shot at transferring to a good physics program such as those at UCSB or UCB? I understand that I am at a disadvantage coming from the cal-state system, but I do also know it's not an impossible feat. Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2009 #2
    Coming from a CSU, your priority would be rather low because community college and intercampus UC transfers would have priority over you. Keep your gpa as high as possible and hope for the best. I used to goto UCSB but i decided to transfer to a community college so i could get higher transfer priority since my goal was to transfer to UCB. i will be attending Berkeley in the fall for applied math/econ so i kinda know what the transfer process is like so feel free to pm me if you have other questions. I found this forum to be extremely helpful regarding the transfer process and i highly recommend you browse through it:http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/uc-transfers/

4. Jun 2, 2009 #3
    Right, I definitely know about the cal-states being "last in line", but I was wondering what would constitute a strong candidate for this unilateral type of transfer. I know a couple of students who are doing what you did, transferring below before going up, but I hadn't heard any success stories (until now!). Also, I wanted to get going on some upper division math and possibly physics courses before the transfer, something which might not be possible at a community college.

Thanks for the advice and congratulations on Berkeley!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook