Transfer from UK to US for Undergraduate Physics Degree

• Thread starter hasan_researc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk
In summary: Physics program at Imperial College to a university in the US due to the high cost of tuition for international students. He is unsure if the investment in an Imperial education is worth it and is seeking recommendations for top US universities that offer scholarships. He is also concerned about the possibility of transferring affecting his chances for graduate school. Ultimately, he is looking for advice on the best course of action for his future. In summary, Matthias is an international student considering transferring from Imperial College to a US university due to the high cost of tuition. He is seeking advice on whether an Imperial education is worth the investment and recommendations for top US universities that offer scholarships. He is also concerned about the impact of transferring on
hasan_researc
Hi,

I have just completed the first year of my undergraduate Physics degree at Imperial College. (To be accurate, I have not sat for three of my exams in June. I am an international student and I had a problem with my visa, so I had to leave the UK. I will sit those exams in September.)

As I am an international student, I will have to pay 20k every year on top of my living costs. This is a huge investment for someone like me who's from an underdeveloped country.

For this reason, I am wanting to transfer to an university in the US since US universities offer scholarships to students.

I am wondering whether I should continue at my present university. Is an Imperial education worth its tuition fees? Can I be sure that I will get a net return from this investment?

Or shall I think of transferring to a US university instead? If so, which institutions would you recommend? My academic performance lies in the top 5-8% of the 230 students in my year group, but I don't perform in any extracurricular activities. I would be grateful if anyone could suggest the universities at the top of the league tables which might accpet my application.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you doing a B.Sc. or MPhys? You're probably too late to transfer next year, so that would mean you'd be doing 2 years of study in the UK, and then possibly another 2 years in US, right? I can't really offer any specific advice, but all I know (from what I hear) is Imperial is a great university for Physics and is also world-renowned. And as far as transferring to the US, I think there's not that many universities there that are "better" than Imperial, not in terms of education or reputation. That's just my take and I could be mistaken, of course. And are you sure you get scholarships at US universities right from the get-go? A classmate of mine from high school went to study in the US and, although he said there is ample financial support available even for international students, that was only after first year. And if that'd apply for your case, as well, then you'd basically be financed for a year, which I guess wouldn't make that big of a difference considering the tuition fees are probably much higher even compared to the 20k at Imperial. And I think another thing to consider is that if you want to go to graduate school it'd probably be conducive to that goal if you make a name for yourself amongst the professors, do research with them etc., and spending two years at one institution and then another two at another kind of impairs, though not completely prevents, that. Just another point to consider, I guess, but in the end if you feel you couldn't financially be able to pull off studying in the UK, but would in the US, then perhaps you should try to transfer.

Imperial College is a very good university. If you like the UK but can't afford the costs, have you thought of studying somewhere else in the uk? For example Swansea has a very good physics departments and it would be relatively cheap there compared to London (or Aberystwyth or example).

Mat

1. What are the requirements for transferring from a UK university to a US university for an undergraduate physics degree?

The requirements for transferring will vary depending on the specific universities and programs involved. Generally, you will need to have completed a certain number of credits or courses at your current university, have a strong academic record, and meet the admissions requirements for the US university. You may also need to take standardized tests such as the SAT or ACT, and provide proof of English proficiency.

2. Can I transfer from any UK university to any US university for an undergraduate physics degree?

No, not all UK universities have partnerships or agreements with US universities for transfer students. It is important to research and confirm that the US university you are interested in accepts transfer students from your current UK university. Additionally, certain programs or majors may have specific transfer requirements or restrictions.

3. Will my credits from my UK university transfer to a US university?

It is likely that some of your credits will transfer, but this will depend on the individual policies of the US university. Generally, courses that are similar in content and level to those offered at the US university will be more likely to transfer. It is important to review the transfer credit policy of the US university and work closely with an academic advisor to determine which credits will transfer.

4. Will I need to reapply for admission to the US university as a transfer student?

Yes, you will need to go through the admissions process again as a transfer student. This may involve submitting an application, transcripts, test scores, and other required materials. It is important to carefully follow the application instructions and deadlines provided by the US university.

5. How will transferring from a UK university to a US university affect my visa status?

If you are currently studying in the UK on a student visa, you will need to apply for a new student visa for the US. You may need to provide documentation such as an acceptance letter from the US university, proof of financial support, and a valid passport. It is important to research and understand the visa requirements for studying in the US as an international student.