1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer function and Bode plot

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the transfer function for the filter on the attached picture and sketch it in Bode diagram, if you know ##Q_0 =\frac{\omega _0L}{R}>>1## and ##\omega _0^2=\frac{1}{LC}##.
    Captureg.PNG

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I am not mistaken, we defined the transfer function as $$H(i\omega )=\frac{U_{out}(\omega )}{U_{in}(\omega )}$$
    where ##U_{out}(\omega )=IZ##. $$\frac 1 Z =\frac{1}{R+i\omega L}+\frac{1}{i\omega C}$$ $$Z=\frac{-\omega ^2 LC + i\omega RC}{R+i\omega (L+C)}$$ So finally $$H(i\omega )=\frac{U_{out}(\omega )}{U_{in}(\omega )}=\frac{Z}{Z+R}=\frac{-\omega ^2LC+iR\omega C}{R^2-\omega ^2LC+i\omega R(L+2C)}$$ But I highly suspect this is wrong from the very start. I have no idea how to solve this kind of problems.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The calculation is almost right. Your expression for Z can't be right because it involves summing L and C, which you can't do because they don't have the same units. In your first expression for 1/Z, you're adding ZC instead of 1/ZC.

4. Nov 26, 2014 #3
    Thank you!

Well, the end result is not that important (Except that ##1/Z_c## part, that is important). I was just not sure if this: $$H(i\omega )=\frac{U_{out}(\omega )}{U_{in}(\omega )}=\frac{Z}{Z+R}$$ is right. I did the rest of the calculations using Mathematica.

5. Nov 26, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yeah, that's fine. That's just a plain-old voltage divider. It holds for impedances, not just resistances.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted