Transfer function confusion

In summary, the conversation is about the confusion over the feedback loop in the given diagram. The individual is asking for clarification on how to calculate the return ratio when there is no H1 present in the loop. Another person confirms that the calculation can simply be Gcs multiplied by Gps. However, they remind the individual that Gcs and Gps are still present in the forward part of the loop and should be included in the denominator. The individual then admits to forgetting control theory and jokes about needing to refresh their knowledge.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
I'm confused by the fact there's nothing in the feedback loop here

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6075/feedbackloop.jpg [Broken]

For instance, if I had "H1" in the feedback loop I'd do

C/R = (Gcs x Gps) / (1+H1)

But since I don't have H1... is it simply

C/R = (Gcs x Gps) / 1 = Gcs x Gps

?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have 1 loop.
And yes, you don't have H1 in the returning part of the loop, so you can simply leave that out.
But you still have Gcs and Gps in the forward part of the loop.
Shouldn't you put those in the denominator?

I seem to have completely forgot control theory. Allow me to slap myself twice in the face silly and strap myself to the chair with old materials.

Sorry to have bothered you for trifles, sensei :)

Femme_physics said:
I seem to have completely forgot control theory. Allow me to slap myself twice in the face silly and strap myself to the chair with old materials.

Sorry to have bothered you for trifles, sensei :)

Trifles are better than nothing. ;)

Can I slap you a couple of times too as long as you are strapped to a chair anyway?

The transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. In this case, the feedback loop shown in the image is missing a key component - the feedback path. Without this feedback path, it is not possible to accurately determine the transfer function.

The presence of "H1" in the feedback loop indicates that there is a feedback path, which would need to be taken into account when calculating the transfer function. Without it, the transfer function would simply be the product of the individual transfer functions of the forward and feedback paths, as you have correctly stated. However, this would not accurately represent the behavior of the system in reality.

In order to accurately determine the transfer function, the feedback path must be clearly defined and taken into account. This could be done by including "H1" in the feedback loop or by providing more information about the system. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the transfer function.

1. What is "Transfer function confusion"?

"Transfer function confusion" is a term used to describe the confusion or misunderstanding that can occur when interpreting the transfer function of a system. A transfer function is a mathematical representation that describes the relationship between the input and output of a system. When the transfer function is not clearly defined or understood, it can lead to confusion in data analysis and decision-making.

2. How does transfer function confusion affect scientific research?

Transfer function confusion can have a significant impact on scientific research. It can lead to erroneous results, misinterpretation of data, and ultimately, flawed conclusions. This can have serious consequences, especially in fields such as engineering and medicine where accurate data analysis is crucial.

3. What are some common causes of transfer function confusion?

There are several reasons why transfer function confusion may occur. One common cause is the use of different mathematical formulations for the transfer function, which can lead to discrepancies in the results. Another cause is the use of inadequate or incorrect data, which can affect the accuracy of the transfer function. Additionally, a lack of understanding or knowledge about transfer functions can also contribute to confusion.

4. How can transfer function confusion be avoided?

To avoid transfer function confusion, it is essential to have a clear understanding of the system being studied and the mathematical formulation used for the transfer function. It is also crucial to use accurate and reliable data in the analysis. Consulting with experts or seeking clarification from colleagues can also help in preventing transfer function confusion.

5. What are some practical applications of transfer function analysis?

Transfer function analysis has various practical applications in scientific research and engineering. It is commonly used in control systems to analyze and design feedback controllers. It is also used in signal processing to understand the relationship between input and output signals. Additionally, transfer function analysis is used in fields such as economics, ecology, and neuroscience to model and understand complex systems.