Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Transfer Function Equation

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pressure measurement system uses a sensor that converts pressure into voltage according to the transfer function, Vp = (.5)(square root of P). This voltage is then converted into a current. As pressure varies from 0 - 100 psi, the current varies from 4 - 20 mA.

A. Find the transfer function equation for the conversion of voltage to current.

Known variables
    P = 0 - 100 psi
    I = 4 - 20 mA

2. The attempt at a solution

I would attempt a solution if I knew where to start. The best I can do so far is use the given transfer function of Vp = (.5)(square root of P) to convert pressure into voltage. After that I'm at a loss as to where to get the equation for the conversion of voltage to current. Is there anyone out there that can point me in the right direction?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2
    Yeah that's pretty vague; There is an infinite amount of different functions you can fit to the 2 endpoints given. You can use linear interpolation for the easiest transfer function based on your thinking of grabbing the corresponding voltages to the pressures/currents.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook