1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer Function Notation

1. Jun 29, 2006 #1
    Just a quick question about some notation used in my book.

The proper form of the transfer function used in my book is as follows:

[tex] \bar H(j\omega) = \frac{K_0(j\omega)^{\pm N} (1+j\omega\tau_1)(1+2\zeta_3(j\omega\tau_3)+(j\omega\tau_3)^2)\cdot\cdot\cdot }{(1+j\omega \tau_a)(1+2\zeta_b(j \omega \tau_b)+(j \omega \tau_b)^2 )\cdot \cdot \cdot}[/tex]

I'm kinda just being picky here, but I would like to understand the convention that they used.

Why the jump from [itex] \tau_1 [/itex] to [itex] \tau_3 [/itex], the choice of starting with [itex] \zeta_3 [/itex] in the numerator. Just curious if someone could shed some light on this.

Thank you

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Is this in circuits, controls, vibrations...? What is the topic?

By the looks of it, it's a formulation from an infinite series.

4. Jul 1, 2006 #3
    Woops I forgot about this post :blushing:

Sorry, I should have specified where this came from. This is from a basic circuit engineering course, specfically from the book: "Basic Engineering Circuit Analsysis" 8th Edition, Irwin/Nelms.

It looks like an expansion of some sort. The lecture notes have been very good, so I haven't been reading chapters like I typically do, just skimming them...it looks like I missed a page or two.

[tex] \bar H(s) = \frac{N(s)}{D(s)}=\frac{K_0(s-z_1)(s-z_2)\cdot \cdot \cdot(s-z_m)}{(s-p_1)(s-p_2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(s-p_n)} [/tex] (1)

where:
    [tex] s= j\omega [/tex]
    [tex] N(s) =[/tex] a polynomial of degree m
    [tex] D(s) =[/tex] a polynomial of degree n

Also, it says that in general (1) can be expressed in the form that I gave in the OP. Hope that helps clear things up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?