Transfer function on a circuit

In summary, The conversation is about the use of a software called LTspice for circuit simulation and how it sparked the user's curiosity about the transfer function of amplifiers. They share their attempts at deriving the transfer function for a circuit with an added resistor, capacitor, and inner resistance, and ask for assistance in finding the proper Laplace transformation.
liquidFuzz
I'm tinkering with a software called LTspice. The user can insert circuits and simulate them. After doing some Bode plots I started to wonder what the transfer function looked like. I usually don't bother about this when I build amplifiers, but this LTspice software got me curious.

I looked through some old note I have and came up with this, sort of.

H = Y/X
Where Y(s) is the laplace tranformation of y(t), likewise for x(t) and in-signal.
Impedance of a capacitor [itex]Z_c = \frac{1}{i ω C}[/itex] and the resistor [itex]Z_R = R[/itex]. I guess the impedances should be written with [itex]iω = s[/itex] if a proper Laplace tranformation is to be done.

Can anyone show me how to derive Y and X for this circuit:

Attachments

• grounded cathode gain stage.png
    grounded cathode gain stage.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 518
Engineering news on Phys.org
I forgot the inner resistance of the triode/tube. The inner resistance is between the input connection and the top/plate connection.

My fumbling attempts:
[itex]\displaystyle X(s) = \frac{\frac{R_c+\frac{1}{sC}}{R_c \frac{1}{sC}}+R_c}{\left( \frac{R_c+\frac{1}{sC}}{R_c \frac{1}{sC}} \right)R_c}[/itex]

[itex]Y(s) = \frac{R_c+\frac{1}{sC}}{R_c\frac{1}{sC}}+r_a[/itex]

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. In the context of circuits, it describes how the input voltage or current is affected by different components and produces an output voltage or current.

2. How is a transfer function calculated?

A transfer function is calculated by taking the Laplace transform of the input and output signals of a circuit and then dividing the output by the input. This results in a ratio of the output to the input, which is known as the transfer function.

3. What is the importance of a transfer function in circuit analysis?

The transfer function allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a circuit by simplifying complex systems into a single mathematical function. It also helps in designing and optimizing circuits for specific applications, as well as predicting the response of a circuit to different inputs.

4. How does the transfer function affect the stability of a circuit?

The transfer function can give insights into the stability of a circuit by examining the poles and zeros of the function. If the poles of the transfer function lie on the left side of the complex plane, the circuit is stable. If they lie on the right side, the circuit is unstable and can lead to oscillations or even damage to the components.

5. Can the transfer function be used to determine the frequency response of a circuit?

Yes, the transfer function can be used to determine the frequency response of a circuit. By substituting complex numbers for the frequency variable, the magnitude and phase response of the circuit can be calculated. This information is crucial in understanding how a circuit will behave at different frequencies.