1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer Function

1. Aug 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the transfer function Vout(s)/Vi(s) of the circuit

2. Relevant equations
    Zr = R; Zl=Ls; Zc=1/Cs; KVL; KCL

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have to find the transfer function of the complete circuit I send.For this, I divided the all circuit into small pieces.I tried to write the function for the smallest one,and then I realized that all circuit is not a series circuit.By the way, Vac source our input, and output is in front the R2.For this reason,I didnt add R2 into transfer function ? Am I right or should I add it ? Also how can I find the transfer function for the second and the complete circuit ? Can you give me an idea ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Yikes, that last circuit is involved!

For the first circuit, yes you need to include R2 in the calculation, since it loads the rest of the circuit. Are you told to assume the coupling coefficient of the transformers is 1?

4. Aug 11, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply.Yes I assume the coupling coefficient of the transformers 1:1Actually I am confused for the grounds.How can I think them ?

5. Aug 11, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Get simulation software like SPICE - quick! :bugeye:

6. Aug 11, 2012 #5
    Is there a software which gives us the transfer function of the systems directly? Also,will it be too hard to calculate by hand ?

7. Aug 11, 2012 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

SPICE does not generate transfer functions. It allows time response to various input functions, and frequency domain information (Bode plots).

You can input transfer functions but you don't get transfer functions generated from circuits input'ed into the software.

i know of no software that does that, but it's conceptually feasible so maybe there is some out there.

Doing a circuit like your #3, or even #2, by hand is next to impossible. Only possibility I see is application of two-terminal network theory (ABCD parameters etc.) but even there the mutual inductances seem to complicate the situation. Also, who knows, maybe constant-k or m-derived theory - I'm not conversant with those.

8. Aug 13, 2012 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

But you can plot Vo/Vi with SPICE, at least I can with MicroCAP...

9. Aug 13, 2012 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of couse, but the OP was asked to find the transfer function, which I understood to be in closed form, e.g. Laplace. But maybe Bode plots is what the question had in mind after all.

10. Aug 13, 2012 #9
    Yeah I can plot signal-frequency, phase-frequency with LT Spice but to compare it,I wanna draw the same graphs with MATLAB using transfer function of the circuit.Actually this is my some kind of homework.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook