Transfer Functions: Vo = Vi Calculation Help

• Thread starter quick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the correct equations for two different circuits, with the main focus being on simplifying the equations by getting rid of s in the denominator. The final equations for both circuits were confirmed to be correct, with the only suggestion being to match parenthesis carefully.
quick
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/9784/prob17zo.jpg [Broken]

j*omega = s

so for a, i got Vo = Vi * (sL/(sL+R+1/sc))
so H(s) = sL/(sL+R+1/sc) and i multiplied it by s/s to get rid of s in in denominator of the 1/sc term to get s^2*L/(s^2*L+Rs+1/c)

is this correct?

for the second one i got Vo=Vi*(1/sc)/(R*sL/R+sL)+1/sc. i did a similar thing by multiplying by s/s.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
that looks right to me. Only you need to match parenthesis carefully.

[tex]H(s) = \frac{sL}{sL+R+\frac{1}{sC}}[/tex]
[tex]Vo=Vi\frac{\frac{1}{sC}}{\frac{RsL}{R+sL}+\frac{1}{sC}}[/tex]

Yes, your calculations for both a and b are correct. In both cases, you have successfully converted the transfer function H(s) into a form where it is easier to calculate the output voltage Vo for a given input voltage Vi. Good job!

1. What are transfer functions and how are they used in calculations?

Transfer functions are mathematical representations of the relationship between the input and output of a system. They are commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze and predict the behavior of a system. In calculations, transfer functions are used to determine the output (Vo) of a system based on the input (Vi) and its characteristics.

2. What is the formula for calculating transfer functions?

The general formula for calculating transfer functions is Vo(s)/Vi(s), where s represents the complex frequency variable. However, the specific formula may vary depending on the type of system and its characteristics.

3. What are some common applications of transfer functions?

Transfer functions have many applications in engineering and physics, such as in control systems, signal processing, and communication systems. They are also used in fields like economics and biology to model and analyze various systems.

4. How do I solve for Vo in a transfer function calculation?

To solve for Vo in a transfer function calculation, you will need to know the value of Vi and the transfer function equation for your specific system. You can then substitute the value of Vi into the equation and solve for Vo using algebraic manipulation or a calculator.

5. How do I interpret the results of a transfer function calculation?

The results of a transfer function calculation represent the output (Vo) of a system for a given input (Vi). The value of Vo can be used to understand the behavior and characteristics of the system, such as its frequency response, stability, and gain. These results can also be used to make predictions and design improvements for the system.