1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer of electrons

1. Jun 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everyone, would you kindly help me with our homework..Although our teacher was able to give the final answer but he couldn't find a solution that will result to the answer.tsk tsk tsk. Here is the problem.

A Plate carries a charge of -3.0 uC, while a rod carries a charge of +2.0 uC. How many electrons must be transferred from the plate to the rod, so that both object have the same charge?

The final answer given by the teacher is:

1.6 x 10 exp 13 electrons

Would you kindly give me the solution on how the book came up with this answer? Many thanks..cheers!

2. Relevant equations

q = Ne

N = q/e

3. The attempt at a solution

Would you kindly give me the solution on how the book came up with this answer? Many thanks..cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Welcome to PhysicsForums!

We don't do your homework for you here, but we'll work with you. First off, when they're touched together, what happens? What is the final charge on each object? How many electrons is this?

4. Jun 21, 2009 #3
    electrons are transferred to the other material.. Final charge for plate = 4.8 x10 exp-25
    for rod is -3.2 x 10exp-25...Im not sure if this is correct...would you kindly check.tnx

5. Jun 21, 2009 #4
    up for now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook