Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer of Force on a Lathe

1. May 15, 2015 #1
    If I mount an unbalanced piece of wood on my lathe, it causes vibration. i.e. I'm spinning an offset mass at a high rate of speed. If I add weight to the base of the lathe (e.g. sand bags, concrete blocks, bolting it to the floor), I can stop the vibration. My question is, where is the force transferred? Am I causing the lathe components, bearings, ect to accept the force? Or is the force absorbed by the extra weight (or the floor)?

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are causing the lathe components to accept the force, but that's a GOOD thing because you are avoiding shaking them to pieces. It's much better for them to work vibration-free. The extra force is being applied in a much more uniform way than when the lathe is vibrating.

Check this out:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

4. May 15, 2015 #3
    So assuming that overall the lathe is initially designed to operate safely under specific loads, I wonder if by adding the weight one is moving out of the range specified design. Also, I wonder if the user is causing excessive wear on the components? I think I need a diagram of where the forces go.

5. May 15, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I believe most lathes are designed to have stabilizing weight added to the base. Certainly it's something most every lathe owner does, unless he/she has a powerful lathe and only does modest turnings. Some of the bigger semi-professional lathes are so heavy they don't need it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook