Maximum Height Reached by Block on Spring

In summary, a 0.250 kg block is pushed downward onto a vertical spring with a constant of 5200 N/m, compressing the spring by 0.093 m. After being released, the block rises and leaves the spring. To determine the maximum height above the release point, we use the energy formula involving initial and final energy, taking into account the weight of the block. The block reaches a height of 9.178 m above the point of release, taking into account the length of compression of the spring.
Ry122
A block of mass 0.250 kg is placed on top of a light vertical spring of constant k = 5200 N/m and is pushed downward so that the spring is compressed 0.093 m. After the block is released, it travels upward and then leaves the spring. To what maximum height above the point of release does it rise?

my attempt:
energy in spring = (.5)5200(.093)^2=22.4874J
Weight of block = .250x9.8=2.45N
W=fxs
22.4874=2.45xs
s=9.178

What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
use the Energy formula involving initial and final energy.

what is it?

What makes you think you are doing these wrong? I got the same answer. Same thing with your centrifugal force problem. They both look good to me.

it was wrong because it asks how high does the block go above the spring so i had do minus the length of compression of the spring from the final answer.

What is transfer of spring energy?

The transfer of spring energy refers to the process of energy being transferred from a spring to another object or system.

How does transfer of spring energy work?

When a spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy. This potential energy is then transferred to another object or system when the spring is released and returns to its original shape, causing the object or system to move.

What factors affect the transfer of spring energy?

The transfer of spring energy is affected by the stiffness of the spring, the distance it is compressed or stretched, and the mass of the object or system it is transferring energy to.

What are some real-life examples of transfer of spring energy?

Some real-life examples of transfer of spring energy include a pogo stick, a trampoline, and a mousetrap. In all of these examples, a spring is used to transfer energy and cause movement.

How is the transfer of spring energy useful in everyday life?

The transfer of spring energy is useful in many everyday applications such as in car suspensions, door hinges, and shock absorbers. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of many mechanical devices, making them more efficient and effective.