Is Transferring to Canada for a PhD a Good Decision?

In summary, a Physics graduate student at Arizona State University is considering transferring to the University of Alberta in Canada due to family reasons. Some people have expressed concerns about the quality of education in Canada compared to the US, but the student's friend who transferred to a Canadian university for their PhD program prefers it. Additionally, the University of Alberta has a strong physics program and is ranked 59th in the world. Ultimately, the quality of education in both countries is comparable and varies from school to school.
uskalu
Hi All,
I'm a Physics graduate student at Arizona State university and I'm willing to tranfer to CANADA ( University of Alberta) due to family reason. However some people say that Canadian education systme is not good as U.S. system.

PhD from U.S more recognize than CANADA?
I need your feedback to get a correct decission.
Please help me.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on supervisor and research, I have a friend who just transferred from University of Arizona to Queen's (Canada), and he prefers the program here for GR. U Alberta has tonnes of oil money being thrown at sciences and their physics program is really booming. I have a feeling you won't really suffer at all from the transfer.

Also, though you can take rankings with a grain of salt, THES ranks University of Alberta 59th in the world, while Arizona state doesn't even make the top 200.

Do you have any idea about the quality of education in US and CANADA?

They are basically the same, a lot of profs at Canadian Universities were trained in the US, and vice versa.

PhD's from the USA are not more recognized than those from Canada, and I wouldn't go as far as saying the US education system is better either... Some US universities are more established but this is definitely not an accurate statement. The strength of any specific program varies from school to school. The university of Alberta has a very strong chemistry department. There are other schools in Canada that do have stronger physics departments, but it is still considered fairly exceptional.

What is the process for transferring to Canada from the USA?

The process for transferring to Canada from the USA varies depending on your specific situation. Generally, you will need to obtain a work permit or permanent residency status, and may also need to go through a points-based assessment and provide documentation such as proof of employment, education, and finances.

What are the benefits of transferring to Canada from the USA?

Some potential benefits of transferring to Canada from the USA include access to universal healthcare, a more affordable cost of living, and a diverse and welcoming culture. Additionally, Canada offers opportunities for career growth and a high quality of life.

What are the requirements for obtaining a work permit in Canada?

The requirements for obtaining a work permit in Canada include having a job offer from a Canadian employer, meeting the qualifications for the specific job, and obtaining a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada. You may also need to provide proof of education, language proficiency, and financial stability.

What is the difference between a work permit and permanent residency in Canada?

A work permit allows you to temporarily work in Canada, usually for a specific employer and for a limited amount of time. Permanent residency, on the other hand, allows you to live and work in Canada permanently and grants you access to social services and benefits. It also provides a pathway to Canadian citizenship.

Is it possible to transfer to Canada from the USA without a job offer?

It is possible to transfer to Canada from the USA without a job offer, but it may be more challenging. You can apply for permanent residency through the Express Entry system, which is a points-based system that assesses your skills, education, language proficiency, and work experience. Alternatively, you can also explore options for starting a business or studying in Canada, which may lead to permanent residency opportunities.