1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer to CANADA from USA

  1. Jun 27, 2010 #1
    Hi All,
    I'm a Physics graduate student at Arizona State university and I'm willing to tranfer to CANADA ( University of Alberta) due to family reason. However some people say that Canadian education systme is not good as U.S. system.

    PhD from U.S more recognize than CANADA?
    I need your feedback to get a correct decission.
    Please help me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2010 #2
    Depends on supervisor and research, I have a friend who just transferred from University of Arizona to Queen's (Canada), and he prefers the program here for GR. U Alberta has tonnes of oil money being thrown at sciences and their physics program is really booming. I have a feeling you won't really suffer at all from the transfer.
  4. Jun 30, 2010 #3
    Also, though you can take rankings with a grain of salt, THES ranks University of Alberta 59th in the world, while Arizona state doesn't even make the top 200.
  5. Jun 30, 2010 #4
    Do you have any idea about the quality of education in US and CANADA?
  6. Jul 1, 2010 #5
    They are basically the same, a lot of profs at Canadian Universities were trained in the US, and vice versa.
  7. Jul 10, 2010 #6
    PhD's from the USA are not more recognized than those from Canada, and I wouldn't go as far as saying the US education system is better either... Some US universities are more established but this is definitely not an accurate statement. The strength of any specific program varies from school to school. The university of Alberta has a very strong chemistry department. There are other schools in Canada that do have stronger physics departments, but it is still considered fairly exceptional.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook