Transfer to Northwestern University

• Schools
  • Thread starter BicycleTree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the speaker has received a letter accepting them as a transfer student to Northwestern University with potential financial aid. They had originally planned to attend UMass Amherst because of its location, affordability, and strong Computer Science department. However, receiving the acceptance from Northwestern has made them consider the possibility of transferring there. They are questioning whether the benefits of attending Northwestern, such as a potentially better education and career opportunities, outweigh the challenges of moving halfway across the country and potentially losing transfer credits. They are seeking advice and information about the reputation and teaching of the computer science departments at both schools.
BicycleTree
I just got a letter today accepting me as a transfer to Northwestern University, with potential financial aid that would make it about as cheap as going to UMass Amherst. It has been my main plan for a month now to go to UMass Amherst--it's in my state, it's in the UMass system, it has a great Computer Science department. I am a Computer Science major. I had actually given up on getting any kind of reply from Northwestern one month ago, so it was a surprise when I got this in the mail.

It would be a big fiasco to go to Northwestern University. It's halfway across the country (Massachusetts to Illinois) and maybe I couldn't get affordable housing there anyway. Also, maybe I couldn't get the scholarships renewed for senior year--I could not afford to do senior year at full price at Northwestern, which would be about $45,000. Another consideration is that since I'd be leaving the UMass system, I would likely get less transfer credit at Northwestern, thus perhaps entering as only a sophomore.

So my question is, how much work is Northwestern worth? If I go there and get everything to work out, how much of a difference is it going to make on my educational and professional career when compared to UMass Amherst? I either want to be an AI researcher or a professional programmer.

Physics news on Phys.org
What was your original reasoning behind applying as a transfer student to NW to start with? (Hey - there's always NorthEASTERN, pretty close by to you :smile: ).

I don't know--either I never wrote Northeastern down on my list of colleges, which I doubt, or the application deadline passed too soon. My standards for applying to schools are very strict: specifically, I must get around to applying to them before their deadline passes. No exceptions, no matter how much they beg and plead.

My original reasoning for Northwestern was, hey, Northwestern's deadline is June 1!

Last edited:
I actually don't understand your response at all. My main question was - why did you apply as a transfer to Northwestern? You make it sound like you really want to stay at U Mass, but what was the point of even applying to Northwestern then?

OK - I see the edit. That doesn't seem like much of a reason.

Well, mainly I wanted to see if I could get in. I had a list of great schools that I was going to apply to along with UMass Amherst, but their all deadlines except Northwestern's went by without me applying to them. So now I'm wondering just how much better of an education Northwestern can give compared with UMass Amherst. If I knew it would really make a difference in how competent I am in my field, then I'd head to Northwestern with no questions asked.

I'm looking for someone who knows about the reputation of the computer science departments of both schools and might be able to say if it would make a big difference.

NWU is considered a much better school overall, but the UMass CS program is "supposed" to be real good.

Find out what you can, about the teaching at NWU. Talk to students. And check out : http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/index.jsp

1. How do I transfer to Northwestern University?

To transfer to Northwestern University, you must first complete an application through the Common Application or Coalition Application. You will also need to submit official transcripts, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores. The specific requirements and deadlines vary depending on your current academic standing and the school you are transferring from.

2. What are the transfer requirements for Northwestern University?

The transfer requirements for Northwestern University include a strong academic record with a minimum GPA of 3.0, completion of college-level coursework in a variety of subjects, and a demonstrated interest and fit for the university. Additionally, some schools and programs within Northwestern may have additional requirements.

3. Is it difficult to transfer to Northwestern University?

The transfer process for Northwestern University is competitive, as the university receives a large number of transfer applications each year. It is important to have a strong academic record and a compelling reason for wanting to transfer to increase your chances of being accepted. However, the difficulty of transferring ultimately depends on the number of spots available and the strength of the applicant pool in a given year.

4. Can I transfer to Northwestern University in the middle of the academic year?

Northwestern University accepts transfer applications for both fall and winter quarters. However, the majority of transfer students enter in the fall quarter. Transferring in the middle of the academic year may be possible, but it is recommended to contact the admissions office to discuss your specific situation.

5. Are there any specific scholarships or financial aid available for transfer students at Northwestern University?

Yes, Northwestern University offers need-based financial aid and merit scholarships for transfer students. Some of these scholarships are exclusively for transfer students, while others are open to both transfer and current students. It is important to submit the necessary financial aid forms and applications by the deadlines to be considered for any available aid.