Transfering? And I'm Lost!

I am currently a first year graduate student in physics and am working on external fellowship applications. With most applications being due in the November - December range, I will have only been working with my current advisor for one or two months at the point where I would have to ask for a letter of recommendation allowing for ~ 1 months notice. Is this simply too little time/would it be an inappropriate request? It would be to replace a letter from a professor with whom I took a few classes as an undergrad with a letter from a more distinguished professor in my relevant field.

Hey everyone I made a thread before regarding graduate school but quite frankly, I think I made a mistake.

I was excited over the summer to start my terminal MS program in physics however, as of late I'm really not enjoying it and quite frankly don't see a point.

I don't know if it has to do with depressions issues lately, but I'm doing poorly in my classes (one instructor I have is amazing, the other not so much). I don't have the "drive" it appears as most other students in the field.

I would consider time off but I'm in a lease agreement and getting financial aid for my MS at this point is helping me pay the bills.

I've been considering doing an engineering MS in electrical or mechanical at this point and would like some potential feedback from other people.

Any thoughts on this? I don't have the super strong love/desire for physics and would think the engineering disciplines are more geared toward landing a job anyway.

Sorry for asking but I'm in a rut lately and can't seem to shake it off. The program is good, but I just can't get into it. I was in undergrad for 6 years because of the California budget system so I think I am just possibly burnt out as well.

Ideas? Help, please.

Hi yall, Im a freshman at UIUC, just started my second semester. I'm a physics major and I love physics bc it's actually challenging and it's just generally awesome.

I kind of managed to land on probation last semester bc of not applying myself until the end of the semester; let's just say I enjoyed my first semester. So I am taking E&M now, and I just had my exam for EM and I bombed it, it may have been the hardest test I've taken. I'm just so confused as discouraged since I really tried these last few weeks to learn the material.

In all my classes I tend to have the problem of not doing well on the tests. I'm not a nervous type, I'm incredibly confident, and aware of the issues of being overconfident. I go to maybe 70% of the office hours, generally as much as I can manage with my schedule. I rarely have all that much trouble with the homework, and I do mediocre on the weekly quizzes. I do physics almost everyday. I help anyone who needs help, I often get mistaken for a TA at office hours. I am not afraid to work for something, but I'm busting my *** and not getting results. I don't understand why I am not doing well and I am very upset.

Most advice is appreciated.

Notes:
Bombed test, need to do better. What more can I do to become successful in the ways of physics. I am angry now haha... >:(

-Robert

So I went through an associates program for machining got out and discovered I entered a field where talent matters little to none until you've put in many years and that tops out below my intelectual capabilities.​
I have decided to go back to school for Engineering. Well I think I want to do engineering. I was hoping to get some advice on exploring my interest within stem fields. I really enjoy any kind of problem I can visualize(ex. visualizing construction of objects, conteplating the steps of machining to make a part, imagining forces acting during a machining process to deduce where incacuracies are originating).​
I was also hoping for some general guidelines for what it will take to transfer into a good university from community college.​

Hey all!

So I'm in my last year of high school in Brazil and we're currently studying electricity and electromagnetism, coloumb's law and other cool stuff like that. However, I spent half of my high school in Australia where I didn't take physics and in Brazil high school physics is really hard. I feel like I have no base, I don't know the principles of physics and high school math very well, but I'm really interested and keen to learn. Can anyone help me out on like out-lining what I need to know so that I can understand electricity well?

From the research I've made I am supposed to be good at Kinematics and Newton's Laws. What else?

Also, any good places on the web to find info?

Thanks in advance! :tongue2:

Last edited: