• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Transfering questions

• Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi
I am considering transferring from Appalachian state university to either UNC Chapel Hill or NC State. I would like to go to a top graduate program somewhere for physics, specifically astronomy or astrophysics. My question herein lies as to whether this is a worthwhile move or not. Right now I am on the path to major in astrophysics and probably double it up with math. If I get into chapel hill I know I will want to go, but I am not sure what to do if I don't get accepted. I am pretty sure that I will be able to get into NC state, but my question is how much of a difference will a degree from NC state then a degree from App be to grad schools?
Also another thing is that at App there are actual astronomy classes (thus the astrophysics concentration) and at NC state there aren't any, or hardly any astronomy classes. I know that I want to go to grad school for astrophysics, so would it still be worthwhile to transfer to State even though I would lose those astro classes?

*the difference in prices would negligible since I am in state, so the price does not matter.

Answers and Replies