Maximizing Your Education: How to Transfer Universities for Upper-Level Studies

• Schools
  • Thread starter kurt.physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universities
In summary, getting credits to count towards the target university's requirements and making sure you don't miss out on any expected background knowledge of someone at that point in their degree can be tricky, but transferring universities can be very difficult. Contacting the math department at your desired university is a good idea.
kurt.physics
Can i do the 1 and 2 years of university and then transfer to another university to do 3rd and 4rth?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

Getting your credits to count towards the target university's requirements and making sure you don't miss out on any expected background knowledge of someone at that point in their degree are *very* tricky.

Would getting the textbooks for the courses in the other university and using them as a secondary text for the corresponding course be enough?

Transferring universities can be very difficult. I transferred after my freshman year and only about half of my credits transfered. If I had done another year at my first university, I doubt more than 30% of the credits would have transfered.

I have to go to University of New South Wales (as far as i know right now) and their math courses are alright up to the third year, I intend to major in pure mathematics and eventually do my Ph.D some where in the area of pure mathematics and mathematical physics, and the third year at the University of Sydney has more pure math and mathematical physics as it has more number theory and Topology and differential geometry and hilbert spaces and in the 4th year it has algebraic geometry which i find interesting, so i want to go to USyD at third year

Transfer-credit policies surely vary from country to country, and even between different universities in the same country. I strongly recommend that you contact the math department at Sydney and explain your situation. They are in the best position to advise you as to their transfer policies, and may give you suggestions as to which courses you should take or avoid at NSW in order to maximize your transfer credit.

But first, check the University of Sydney Web site to see what information you can find there.

I would recommend that you go to the university you want to attend right away. I just transferred from one university to another, and only lost like 3 or 6 credits worth of classes, but I still feel so far behind the other people in my classes because I went to a less than stellar university for 1.5 years.

jesuslovesu said:
I would recommend that you go to the university you want to attend right away. I just transferred from one university to another, and only lost like 3 or 6 credits worth of classes, but I still feel so far behind the other people in my classes because I went to a less than stellar university for 1.5 years.

i cannot do this because i am only in year 8 (in the American school system), but for maths I'm in year 9 and half-way through the year i will be going into year 11 mathematics (to do the equivalent subject of AP calculus). In Australian school system terms, I am in year 9 and doing year 10 math and will go to year 12 three-quarters through the year to do Adv, Ext 1 & 2.

The only university, that i know of, that let's students into do uni early is UNSW with their early entry program. So i was hoping to transfer for the former posts reasons

To make sure we're talking about the same thing:

8th grade in America means you're roughly 13 years old.

The way you phrased your initial posts implies you are currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree and roughly 19-20 years old.

The two situations are almost completely different.

Asphodel said:
To make sure we're talking about the same thing:

8th grade in America means you're roughly 13 years old.

The way you phrased your initial posts implies you are currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree and roughly 19-20 years old.

The two situations are almost completely different.

My intentions are to get a bachelor degree, and i am currently 15, so what every year that is, I am doing the year of math after that, and around November i will be doing the last year of HS math

Okay. In that case -

Transfer requirements should be fairly simple and not a huge issue. High School level graduation requirements should be fairly standard between schools, with minimal difficulty getting credits to be accepted elsewhere. If you're moving within the same school district, it may even be directly compatible since it comes under the same administrative group for purposes of determining curriculum and graduation requirements.

Apart from this, you should be trying to take courses that give you a good preparation for starting on your Bachelor's degree. Math and writing preparation will serve you well. It also helps to have at least a basic exposure to some of the sciences, e.g. a chem class and a physics class, maybe some biology...depends on what field you want to study here. One requirement in Americian universities recently is to have taken a year (or more) of foreign language in high school. It's mostly a bunch of touchy-feely crap, but make sure you know what the university admissions requirements are and satisfy them.

1. How do I know if transferring universities for upper-level studies is the right decision for me?

Making the decision to transfer universities should be carefully considered and based on your individual goals and circumstances. Consider the academic programs and opportunities available at the new university, as well as the location, cost, and support services. It may also be helpful to speak with an academic advisor or current students at the new university to gain more insight.

2. Will my credits transfer to the new university?

This will depend on the specific transfer policies of the new university. It is important to research and understand the transfer credit process, as well as any potential limitations or requirements. You may also need to provide course descriptions or syllabi to the new university for evaluation.

3. How will transferring universities affect my financial aid and scholarships?

Transferring universities may impact your financial aid and scholarships, as each university has its own policies and procedures. It is important to speak with the financial aid office at both the current and new university to understand how your aid and scholarships will transfer and any steps you may need to take.

4. Can I transfer universities if I am in a specialized program or major?

Transferring universities can be more complicated if you are in a specialized program or major, but it is still possible. You may need to fulfill specific requirements or take additional courses to meet the new university's requirements. It is important to research and understand the transfer requirements for your specific program or major.

5. How can I make the transfer process smoother and more successful?

To make the transfer process smoother and more successful, it is important to plan ahead and be organized. Research and understand the transfer policies and requirements of the new university, and communicate with academic advisors at both universities. It may also be helpful to join orientation programs or student organizations at the new university to get a head start on adjusting to the new environment.