1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transferring Credits

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1
    I can't seem to find any definitive answers about how transferring credits work. I'm a TAMS student (Texas Academy of Math/Science) and it's this early entrance program on the UNT (University of N. Texas) campus for high school students majoring in science or math. I'm 16 now and the program lasts for 2 years, so I should have about 60 credits when I graduate and ideally that qualifies me as a junior in college.

However, I heard that schools like MIT don't accept credit transfers, period, and this turns me off because I really don't want to take all my classes over again. The classes I am/will take are: Biology, Bio-lab, Chemistry, Chem-lab, Physics, Pre-cal through Cal II or III, English, Pol. Sci. + 2 electives of my choice (optional) starting next semester. Senior year is a little hazy, it gets open-ended. A lot of the seniors seem to take Organic Chem.

I really just have no idea how this stuff works.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I'd recommend talking directly with TAMS about this. I think they probably have a very smooth transition set up if you want to go to University of Texas or Texas A & M. Out of state probably becomes more complicated...

Do you have particular universities in mind?

4. Sep 2, 2007 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

There is no definitive general answer about transferring credits. Every college and university sets its own policies about transfer credit. If you're interested in a specific institution, check its web site, or e-mail their admissions office and explain your situation.

That sounds like you're taking regular UNT courses, right? If so, then other institutions will probably apply their transfer-credit policies to you on the same basis as if you were a regular UNT student who was transferring after sophomore year. But check with them to be sure. In any event, how many of those 60 credits they accept, and what type of credit they grant, is up to them.

5. Sep 2, 2007 #4
    I was just planning on going somewhere in-state even though I could probably get a near free ride anywhere else. And yes I'm considered a freshman at UNT.

6. Sep 2, 2007 #5

learningphysics

Homework Helper

After you finish the 2 year program, can you continue studying at University of North Texas?

7. Sep 2, 2007 #6
    Yes, but UNT isn't the greatest school in the world. Although if I went there of course I'd be a junior off the bat.

8. Sep 2, 2007 #7

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Congrats on getting into TAMS. You'll have plenty of options when you graduate.

9. Sep 3, 2007 #8
    MIT don't accept credit transferrals yet they accept transfer students? That sounds contradictory to me.

10. Sep 3, 2007 #9

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?