Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transferring Kinetic Energy

1. Sep 17, 2014 #1
    Is there a way to transfer kinetic energy between two objects without the objects touching one another?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2014 #2
    Depends on your definition of "touching" (which is not well defined).

Many ideas come to mind. Have heard of gravitational slingshot? Its used for crafts traveling around the solar system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_assist

4. Sep 17, 2014 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Think about how an induction-type electric motor works. Electrical energy flows through the stator coils, creating electromagnetic forces that spin the shaft. There's no touching there.

5. Sep 18, 2014 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A glider in a thermal gains PE which it can convert to KE. The energy ultimately came from the sun. Neither touch directly. Does that count?

6. Sep 18, 2014 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The energy I gain from my breakfast ultimately came from the sun, which I never touched. Does that count?

7. Sep 18, 2014 #6
    Im thinking more along the lines of a newton's cradle, is there a way to transfer this energy through a wire or apparatus of some sort?

8. Sep 18, 2014 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could put magnets with like poles on each ball of a newtons cradle.

9. Sep 18, 2014 #8
    This is the most common example I can think of. Picking things up with static electricity is a close second. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook