Transferring motion from shaft

In summary, the author is trying to create a robotic gripper that does not use tendons or mechanics that are difficult to implement. He has considered using air pressure instead of electromagnets, but is still pondering the best approach.
YeeHaa
Hi,

In a small mechanical application i have, i want an electrical motor to drive a spur gear, and from the moment the spur gear encounters resistance (it stops completely), i want the same shaft from the motor to drive a second spur gear (which was NOT spinning at first, it starts spinning from the moment the first gear stops).

Is there a way to do this mechanically? I just want to use one motor.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The only way that immediately comes to mind is to use a couple of clutches. Electromagnetic ones would probably be the easiest to implement.

edit: By the bye, I have a lot of questions about what exactly you are trying to achieve, because the premise sounds just a tad squirrelly.

Last edited:
I don't know exactly what you mean by "the premise being squirrelly", but I'm trying to create a simple robotic gripper for a project I'm going to start at home. But since all robotic grippers without joints have limited capabilities, I'm leaning towards a jointed one, but preferably without using tendons or complicated mechanics...

An example of a system that uses the same principle (but is already too hard for me to implement), is the system in the BarrettHand:

http://support.barrett.com:8080/wiki/Hand/262/KinematicsJointRangesConversionFactors

Ah...
Okay, then. That looks cool, but I frankly am too tired to read the whole thing right now. It's 07:30 my time, I've been up for 26 hours, and I've got 5 of my 20-pack left to go. My apologies, therefore, for being a little less than at full attention.
I have no idea where you live or what your native culture is, so I hasten to point out that I didn't mean the term "squirrelly" to imply insanity, in which context it has sometimes been used. I merely meant "unusual" or "enigmatic". The primary reason for that was your mention that the #1 spur bails out at the first sign of resistance. If that's the case, why is it there in the first place? It can't perform any function whatsoever without overcoming resistance. Also, your use of the description "small mechanical application" was a bit vague. Now that I know what you're up to, that is no longer a concern. It does raise a bit of bother, though, in that the smallness limits what sort of tech can be applied.
I still think that clutches are the proper approach, but the scale is causing me to rethink the operation thereof. Perhaps air pressure would be better than electromagnetics.

edit: I've had a chance to sleep a bit and check out the link. I'll have to go over it a lot more, though, as it puzzles me in a couple of different regards.

Last edited:

1. How does transferring motion from a shaft work?

Transferring motion from a shaft involves using mechanical components such as gears, pulleys, and belts to transmit rotational energy from one shaft to another. This allows for the movement of various parts in a machine or system.

2. What are the different methods of transferring motion from a shaft?

The most common methods include direct coupling, where two shafts are connected directly without any intermediary components, and indirect coupling, where mechanical components such as gears or pulleys are used to transfer motion between shafts.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting components for transferring motion from a shaft?

Some important factors to consider include the torque and speed requirements of the system, the type of motion to be transferred (rotational or linear), the distance between shafts, and the type of load being driven.

4. How can the efficiency of transferring motion from a shaft be improved?

One way to improve efficiency is by using high-quality, well-maintained components that are properly sized for the application. Additionally, minimizing friction and properly aligning the shafts can also improve efficiency.

5. What are the safety precautions that should be taken when transferring motion from a shaft?

It is important to follow all safety guidelines and instructions provided by the manufacturer when working with mechanical components. This may include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring all components are properly secured and aligned, and performing regular maintenance and inspections to prevent accidents.