1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation Matrices

1. May 21, 2009 #1
    Hi

I'm sitting for an AQA exam tomorrow (Pure Maths MPC2) and while going through some past papers I encountered this problem which I'm not sure how to solve. I'd appreciate any help :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i) Describe a single geometrical transformation that maps the graph of y=6^x onto the graph of y=6^(3x).

ii) The graph of y=6^x is translated by the matrix [1; -2] (it is a 2x1 matrix) to give the graph of the curve with equation y=f(x) . Write down an expression for f(x).

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you are taking an exam in these, surely you must know something! What have you tried?

4. May 21, 2009 #3
    well, if i were doing the exam right now, for i) i'd say it would compress the x-axis
    however i'm pretty uncertain about (ii)

5. May 21, 2009 #4
    while thinking about the second part I came up with two possible solutions which both seem right and ended up getting more confused

you shift every (x,y) points by the vector [1 -2] (ie move one to the right and down two)
    or
    use the matrix transformation equation and end up with y=x-2*6^x

6. May 21, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

After some thought, I think what this means is that each point on the graph of y = 6^x is translated one unit right and two units down. The description is a bit confusing in its description of the graph being translated by a matrix. Although [1 -2]^T is indeed a matrix, it might have been clearer to describe this as a translation by an amount represented by the given vector.

7. May 21, 2009 #6
    Ok. I completely got it now. Thanks a lot for your help

8. May 21, 2009 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

And BTW, this has nothing to do with transformation matrices, which you used as the title for this thread.

9. May 21, 2009 #8
    Sorry about that. At the time I posted the problem I still thought that I needed to use the matrix transformation equation to solve it. The wording of the question confused me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook