1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation Matrix

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    I was just wondering that when we take P, the transformation matrix from B to B', does B and B' have to be ordered from the highest thing?

What I mean is that I have B = 1, 1+x, 3+4x+2x^2 When I do the actual transformation, must I order it and do 2x^2+4x+3 first?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

What are you talking about?

4. Nov 13, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The highest "thing"??? Is that some technical math term I don't know? I THINK you are talking about a vector space of polynomials with given polynomials as basis vectors. There is no requirement that the polynomials be in order of increasing or decreasing degree. In fact, for most vector spaces, there is no "natural" way of ordering vectors. The matrix form of a linear transformation WILL depend one the basis: both on the specific vectors and the order. So be sure that you specify how you are ordering the basis vectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?