Transformation Matrix: Understanding Its Purpose and Properties

In summary, a transformation matrix T maps objects (x,y) to the image (x',y'). The inverse of T will map the image back to the object. However, if T is singular, meaning the determinant of T is 0, there will be no matrix to map the images back to the object. While some transformations may not have inverses, others that change n-dimensional objects to other n-dimensional objects will be non-singular and have inverses.
danago
Gold Member
Given a transformation matrix T, which maps objects (x,y) to the image (x',y'). The inverse of T will map the image back to the object.

Just wondering, what happens if matrix T is singular i.e. det(T)=0? Then there is no matrix to map the images back to the object.

My teacher said that he thinks a transformation matrix will never be singular, but he wasnt 100% sure, so I am just wanting to confirm.

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
danago said:
My teacher said that he thinks a transformation matrix will never be singular, but he wasnt 100% sure, so I am just wanting to confirm.

Thanks,
Dan.

If, by "transformation matrix", you mean the matrix representation of a linear operator, then of course it can be singular. Think of the mapping A : x --> 0, for every x from the domain.

That depends on what you mean by "transformation". The usual definition in Linear Algebra is simply that L(au+ bv)= aL(u)+ bL(v), which includes transformations that do not have inverses.

On the other hand, if you require that the "transformation" change any n-dimensional object to another n-dimensional object, then it is non-singular.
A singular transformation, such as a projection onto a plane or line, will map n-dimensional objects into lower dimensionals objects and has no inverse.

1. What is a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix is a mathematical tool used to represent the transformation of one coordinate system into another. It is typically represented as a square matrix and contains information about translations, rotations, and scaling of points in space.

2. How is a transformation matrix used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, a transformation matrix is used to transform 2D or 3D objects in a virtual space. By applying a transformation matrix to the coordinates of an object, it can be moved, rotated, or scaled in any direction.

3. What are the elements of a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix consists of 4 rows and 4 columns, with 16 elements in total. The first 3 rows and columns represent the rotation and scaling elements, while the last row and column represent the translation elements.

4. How is a transformation matrix calculated?

A transformation matrix is calculated by multiplying several matrices together, including rotation, scaling, and translation matrices. The order in which these matrices are multiplied can affect the final result, so it is important to pay attention to the order of operations.

5. What is the inverse of a transformation matrix?

The inverse of a transformation matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original transformation matrix, results in the identity matrix. This inverse matrix can be used to 'undo' a transformation and bring an object back to its original position and orientation.