Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation of a Vector

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1
    Greetings,

My question is from the book "Tensor Analysis" by Barry Spain. I am asked to show that how a vector transforms from rectangular Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates. I have attached the question in jpeg format. I have came up with a solution but the angular component in my solution is r^2 times the angular component given in the book. I have checked some books about this subject and found out that both the solution given in the attachment and I have found exist. I am pretty confused about this and I assume that this book is wrong. I will be grateful if someone can provide some insight.

Attached Files:

• ss.JPG
      ss.JPG
      File size:
      19.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2013 #2
    Any ideas ?

4. Feb 3, 2013 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My guess: normalization question. Both answers may be right.

5. Feb 4, 2013 #4
    Here is a solution based on using vector u_r = [cos(A) , sin(A)] and vector u_A = [-sin(A), cos(A)] normal to it. Edit: It appears the answer is not exactly the same.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  6. May 8, 2013 #5
    I just saw your post much later but I did not understand your argument.

P.S The link is not accessible.

7. Jun 12, 2013 #6
    The link was accessible and I saw the solution which is similar to mine though less detail is provided. The two answers differ by a factor of r and I think the solution in the link you suggest is the correct one, since it has the dimensions of acceleration and this is acceleration am I correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook