How Do You Convert a Transformed Function into Standard Form?

In summary, the conversation was about translating functions and rewriting equations in a specific form. The base function was \sqrt{x} and the series of transformations included a vertical stretch, horizontal compression, reflection, and translations. The equation -2\sqrt(3x-12) -5 can be rewritten as -2\sqrt{3}\sqrt{x-4}-5 and put in the form y=Af(x-4)-5 with A=-2\sqrt{3} and f(x)=\sqrt{x}.
aisha
Rewrite Function PLZ HELP

I have a question for translation of functions
it says the equation of the image is [tex] -2 \sqrt(3x-12) -5 [/tex]
(note: sorry the square root should be over all of the 3x and -12 only -5 is outside of square root)
1) the first questions said what is the base function? I wrote [tex] \sqrt(x) [/tex]

2) the second question said describe the series of transformations, so i wrote
Vertical stretch by a factor of 2, horizontal compression by a factor of 1/3, reflection in the x-axis, vertical translation 5 units down, horizontal translation 4 units left.

3) It says write the function into y=af[k(x-p)]+q form
I got [tex] -2\sqrt(3(x-(-4)) -5 [/tex] (note: again square root is over everything in brackets except -5 )but i think this is wrong since there is a square root in my answer and no square root in the form that they want. Can someone help me out please :cry: Is only number 3 wrong? How do I rewrite the equation in the correct form?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The only problem I can see with your #3 is that it should be (x-4), not (x-(-4)).

I only see one way to get rid of the square root, and that's more of a trick than anything else, but given the rest of your question it just may be what you need.

Let f(x) = your base function, [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]. Then your function would be

[tex]y = 2\sqrt{3} f(x - 4) - 5[/tex]

The square root is still there, it's just hidden in the "f(x)".

Does that look possible?

I don't understand

All I've done is replace the [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] with an f(x). If you replace the functional notation in my expression with [tex]\sqrt{x-4}[/tex] and carry through the algebra, you should end up with your original expression.

I'm not entirely certain that's what you're looking for, but it's the only way I can see to make the square root go away. It seems like you have access to the answer - can you post that? It may make it easier to see exactly what you need to do.

Last edited:
aisha said:
I have a question for translation of functions
it says the equation of the image is [tex] -2 \sqrt(3x-12) -5 [/tex]
(note: sorry the square root should be over all of the 3x and -12 only -5 is outside of square root)
1) the first questions said what is the base function? I wrote [tex] \sqrt(x) [/tex]

2) the second question said describe the series of transformations, so i wrote
Vertical stretch by a factor of 2, horizontal compression by a factor of 1/3, reflection in the x-axis, vertical translation 5 units down, horizontal translation 4 units left.

3) It says write the function into y=af[k(x-p)]+q form
I got [tex] -2\sqrt(3(x-(-4)) -5 [/tex] (note: again square root is over everything in brackets except -5 )but i think this is wrong since there is a square root in my answer and no square root in the form that they want. Can someone help me out please :cry: Is only number 3 wrong? How do I rewrite the equation in the correct form?

How about writing it like that
[tex] y(x)=-2\sqrt{3x-12}-5=-2\sqrt{3(x-4)}-5=-2\sqrt{3}\sqrt{x-4}-5 [/tex]

which can be put under the form
[tex] y(x)=Af(x-4)-5 [/tex]
where
[tex] A=-2\sqrt{3} [/tex]
[tex] f(x)=\sqrt{x} [/tex]

What do you say now...??

Daniel.

What is the transformation of function?

The transformation of function refers to the process of changing or manipulating a mathematical function to create a new function with different characteristics. This can be done through operations such as shifting, stretching, reflecting, and compressing the graph of the original function.

What is the purpose of transforming a function?

The purpose of transforming a function is to create a new function that better fits a given set of data or serves a specific purpose. For example, by shifting a function vertically, we can change the y-intercept and make the function pass through a desired point on the y-axis.

What are the different types of transformations?

There are four main types of transformations: translation, reflection, dilation, and compression. Translation involves shifting the graph of a function horizontally or vertically. Reflection involves flipping the graph over a line, such as the x-axis or y-axis. Dilation involves stretching or shrinking the graph, and compression involves compressing or expanding the graph.

How do you perform a transformation on a function?

To perform a transformation on a function, we use a set of rules or operations based on the type of transformation we want to make. For example, if we want to shift a function vertically, we add a constant value to the original function. These operations can be represented algebraically or graphically.

What is the difference between a parent function and a transformed function?

A parent function is the most basic form of a function, such as f(x) = x. A transformed function is a variation of the parent function, created by applying one or more transformations. The transformed function will have different characteristics, such as a different shape or position on the coordinate plane, compared to the parent function.