1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation of function

1. Jan 22, 2005 #1
    Rewrite Function PLZ HELP

I have a question for translation of functions
    it says the equation of the image is [tex] -2 \sqrt(3x-12) -5 [/tex]
    (note: sorry the square root should be over all of the 3x and -12 only -5 is outside of square root)
    1) the first questions said what is the base function? I wrote [tex] \sqrt(x) [/tex]

2) the second question said describe the series of transformations, so i wrote
    Vertical stretch by a factor of 2, horizontal compression by a factor of 1/3, reflection in the x-axis, vertical translation 5 units down, horizontal translation 4 units left.

3) It says write the function in to y=af[k(x-p)]+q form
    I got [tex] -2\sqrt(3(x-(-4)) -5 [/tex] (note: again square root is over everything in brackets except -5 )but i think this is wrong since there is a square root in my answer and no square root in the form that they want. Can someone help me out please :cry: Is only number 3 wrong? How do I rewrite the equation in the correct form?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2005 #2

Diane_

Homework Helper

The only problem I can see with your #3 is that it should be (x-4), not (x-(-4)).

I only see one way to get rid of the square root, and that's more of a trick than anything else, but given the rest of your question it just may be what you need.

Let f(x) = your base function, [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]. Then your function would be

[tex]y = 2\sqrt{3} f(x - 4) - 5[/tex]

The square root is still there, it's just hidden in the "f(x)".

Does that look possible?

4. Jan 23, 2005 #3
    I dont understand

5. Jan 23, 2005 #4

Diane_

Homework Helper

All I've done is replace the [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] with an f(x). If you replace the functional notation in my expression with [tex]\sqrt{x-4}[/tex] and carry through the algebra, you should end up with your original expression.

I'm not entirely certain that's what you're looking for, but it's the only way I can see to make the square root go away. It seems like you have access to the answer - can you post that? It may make it easier to see exactly what you need to do.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  6. Jan 23, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about writing it like that
    [tex] y(x)=-2\sqrt{3x-12}-5=-2\sqrt{3(x-4)}-5=-2\sqrt{3}\sqrt{x-4}-5 [/tex]

which can be put under the form
    [tex] y(x)=Af(x-4)-5 [/tex]
    where
    [tex] A=-2\sqrt{3} [/tex]
    [tex] f(x)=\sqrt{x} [/tex]

What do you say now...??

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?