1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation of function

1. Feb 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    dy/dx = (2x +y -1) / ( 4x -2y +1) , x= X +1 , y = Y-1 ,, how to make it into differential equation ? my ans is not same as the ans given .
    P/s : in the second photo , it's lnx +c , sorry for the blur photo

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2016 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you give already is a differential equation! Do you mean "change from a differential equation in x and y to a differential equation in X and Y"? If you can immediately replace x and y on the right side of the equation by X+ 1 and Y- 1. For the left side, use the "chain" rule:
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{dy}{dY}\frac{dY}{dx}= \frac{dy}{dY}\frac{dY}{dX}\frac{dX}{dx}[/tex].

4. Feb 17, 2016 #3
    in the photo posted , i have already showed that dy/ dY = 1 , dx/dX =1 , so i can conclude that dy=dY , dx=dX , so for the original dy/dx , i can make it as dY/dX , and replace the x as X+1 , and y = Y+1 , so i have dY/dX = (2X+Y) / (X+2Y)

5. Feb 17, 2016 #4

But , i still didnt get the ans

6. Feb 17, 2016 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, what was the "ans given"? And are you sure you are not getting it? In your first post, you have your answer as an equation involving several logarithms. You can use the "laws of logarithms" to reduce your equation to "ln(A)= ln(B)" and then take the exponential of both sides to get "A= B".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted