Transformation of Intrinsic Spin: Does it Transform Like a 4-Vector?

In summary, the spin is not treated as a four-vector in conventional physics. To understand it fully, you need to understand the representation theory of the proper orthochronous Poincare group.
Hiero
This question is beyond my level of understanding, nonetheless I feel it can’t be right. I have been studying Geometric algebra and was thinking about (6-component) bivectors in spacetime, (specifically the electromagnetic field and 4D-angular-momentum). The conventional perspective is to treat these bivectors as anti-symmetric second rank tensors. Regardless of perspective, (upon a change of reference frame,) these objects transform in a definite way.

I saw on Wikipedia though that the intrinsic spin is supposedly treated as a four-vector (arbitrarily taking the time component to be zero in the rest frame). This really bothers me because it seems clear that intrinsic spin should also be treated as a bivector/antisymmetric tensor. Spin is an axial vector which hints at its bivector nature. More importantly though, it should add with the orbital angular momentum (which is a bivector/antisymmetric tensor) and hence should transform the same way! Treating it like a four-vector just seems like non-sense!

In order to treat it as a bivector/antisymmetric tensor though we would need three time-like components which form a polar vector corresponding to the axial spin (in the same way that the electric field corresponds to the magnetic field or the “moment of mass” corresponds to the angular momentum). I have no idea what that corresponding polar vector might be.

So I ask you wise scientists; Is it not silly to treat the spin as a four-vector? (How would it combine with the orbital 4D-angular-momentum??) And if Wikipedia is mistaken and it should instead transform like the electromagnetic field, then what is the corresponding polar vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a vector but a spinor, isn’t it. Vectors, more in general tensors, are made of spinors. Not the other way around.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
?

1. What is the transformation of intrinsic spin?

The transformation of intrinsic spin refers to the way in which the spin of a particle changes when viewed from different reference frames. It is a property of quantum particles, such as electrons and protons, and is described by the laws of quantum mechanics.

2. Does the transformation of intrinsic spin follow the same rules as a 4-vector?

No, the transformation of intrinsic spin does not follow the same rules as a 4-vector. While both involve changes in reference frames, the transformation of intrinsic spin is specific to quantum particles and is described by different mathematical equations.

3. How is the transformation of intrinsic spin measured?

The transformation of intrinsic spin is measured using various experimental techniques, such as electron spin resonance and nuclear magnetic resonance. These techniques involve applying a magnetic field to the particle and observing how its spin changes in different reference frames.

4. Can the transformation of intrinsic spin be manipulated?

Yes, the transformation of intrinsic spin can be manipulated through various methods, such as applying external magnetic fields or using quantum control techniques. This allows scientists to control and study the behavior of quantum particles and their intrinsic spin.

5. What implications does the transformation of intrinsic spin have on our understanding of the universe?

The transformation of intrinsic spin is an important concept in quantum mechanics and has implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. It has been used to explain phenomena such as superconductivity and quantum entanglement, and continues to be an area of ongoing research and discovery.