1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformations and Images

1. Oct 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that a linear map T:R4->R4 has one of the following as its image: just the origin 0, a line through 0, a plane through 0, a copy of R3 through 0, or all of R4.

2. Relevant equations
    N/a

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure I'm even understanding the problem, I asked a friend (honestly) and he said that the Rank of T when it is a matrix can determine whether it maps to just to the origin or all of R4. it went something like this:

my only concern is how does this answer the question, and if this is wrong how should I approach it? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The rank of a matrix is the number of linearly independent vectors that span the image space. I.e. the number of linearly independent columns of the matrix of T. I'm really not sure how to answer in a more clear way.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  4. Oct 17, 2013 #3
    Oh it's not the definition of rank im concerned with. I wanted to know if using rank was a good method to answering the question "Show that a linear map T:R4->R4 has one of the following as its image: just the origin 0, a line through 0, a plane through 0, a copy of R3 through 0, or all of R4. "

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted