Possible Images of a Linear Map T:R4->R4

In summary: I.e. is rank a good indicator of whether or not the map T will map to just the origin, a line through 0, a plane through 0, a copy of R3 through 0, or all of R4?No, rank is not a good indicator of whether or not the map T will map to just the origin, a line through 0, a plane through 0, a copy of R3 through 0, or all of R4.
Aceuniverse

Homework Statement

Show that a linear map T:R4->R4 has one of the following as its image: just the origin 0, a line through 0, a plane through 0, a copy of R3 through 0, or all of R4.

Homework Equations

N/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure I'm even understanding the problem, I asked a friend (honestly) and he said that the Rank of T when it is a matrix can determine whether it maps to just to the origin or all of R4. it went something like this:

my only concern is how does this answer the question, and if this is wrong how should I approach it? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Aceuniverse said:

Homework Statement

Show that a linear map T:R4->R4 has one of the following as its image: just the origin 0, a line through 0, a plane through 0, a copy of R3 through 0, or all of R4.

Homework Equations

N/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure I'm even understanding the problem, I asked a friend (honestly) and he said that the Rank of T when it is a matrix can determine whether it maps to just to the origin or all of R4. it went something like this:

my only concern is how does this answer the question, and if this is wrong how should I approach it? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

The rank of a matrix is the number of linearly independent vectors that span the image space. I.e. the number of linearly independent columns of the matrix of T. I'm really not sure how to answer in a more clear way.

Last edited:
Dick said:
The rank of a matrix is the number of linearly independent vectors that span the solution space. I.e. the number of linearly independent columns of the matrix of T. I'm really not sure how to answer in a more clear way.

Oh it's not the definition of rank I am concerned with. I wanted to know if using rank was a good method to answering the question "Show that a linear map T:R4->R4 has one of the following as its image: just the origin 0, a line through 0, a plane through 0, a copy of R3 through 0, or all of R4. "

1. What is a transformation in mathematics?

A transformation in mathematics is a function that maps each point in a coordinate plane to a new location. It can change the size, shape, or position of a figure.

2. What are the different types of transformations?

The different types of transformations are translation, rotation, reflection, and dilation. Translation moves the figure without changing its orientation, rotation turns the figure around a fixed point, reflection creates a mirror image of the figure, and dilation changes the size of the figure but not its shape.

3. How do you determine the type of transformation?

The type of transformation can be determined by the type of function used to map the points. For example, a translation will use a linear function, a rotation will use a trigonometric function, a reflection will use an inverse function, and a dilation will use an exponential function.

4. Can a figure have multiple transformations?

Yes, a figure can have multiple transformations applied to it. This is known as a composition of transformations. The order in which the transformations are applied will affect the final result.

5. How are transformations used in real life?

Transformations are used in real life in many fields, such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. They are also used in everyday situations, such as in map projections, creating 3-dimensional models, and designing buildings.