1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformations of functions

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    I did the problem but I just need to make sure I did it correctly.. If I did it incorrectly, please let me know.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Page 1: http://i55.tinypic.com/25sosgp.jpg (Zoom in)

Page 2: http://i52.tinypic.com/ofyds5.jpg (Zoom in)

2. Relevant equations

Problem 4 a-d

3. The attempt at a solution

You can see it on the picture.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

I don't think your parts (c) and (d) are appropriate.

For f(x+1) you gave the point (-3, 1) because indeed f(-3+1) = f(-2), which was given.

but for f(3x) you gave (-6, 1) however f(3*-6) = f(-18) which you don't know?
    Similarly part (d) doesn't work out either.

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3
    Then part (b) should be wrong also. I did the same approach for part (c) and (d).

Can you explain how I got the the Point A coordinates (0, 3/2) on part (a) on the last column? It was already done in the book for Point A of part (a) only.

I also made the graph of these coordinates and it's moving/shifting the right way like it's supposed to, I think.

5. Sep 20, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

You might think you did the same thing, but you didn't

When you did f(x+1), you didn't add one to the x value, you subtracted one - because after you put it through (x+1) the 1 is added back on - ie if x = -3, then f(-3+1) = f(-2) which you know.

However, when you did f(3x) you still multiplied by 3 ??? your said x = -6. But if x = -6, f(3x) means f(-18) which you don't know. You should have divided by 3.

Part d you also didn't do the inverse to x either.

you were using y = 1/2 * f(x+1) so it is not surprising that a 3 became a 3/2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook