1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformations of functions

1. Oct 14, 2005 #1
    hi everyone

I have trouble recognizing expansions/compressions, and not knowing how draw graphs of recipricol transformations (of functions). can someone explain to me how to "do" them? or recommend a site that has a tutorial about it?

thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

It might help to provide a specific example and explain where/how you are having trouble:smile:
  4. Oct 14, 2005 #3
    say f(x) = x^2-5 , how do I graph 1/f(x). Please give an in depth explanation.

thanks in advance
  5. Oct 14, 2005 #4

The easiest way is plot points.
  6. Oct 17, 2005 #5
    can anyone give a solution? not just unfinished sentences.
  7. Oct 17, 2005 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, in fact that's the hardest way!

When graphing rational functions in general, it is best to start by finding the following:

1.) x-intercepts
    2.) y-intercepts
    3.) Vertical asymptotes
    4.) Horizontal asymptotes
    5.) Slant asymptotes

Which of these do you know how to find?
  8. Oct 22, 2005 #7
    i really need help, i don't get what you guys are saying.
  9. Oct 23, 2005 #8
    What textbook are you using?
    Does it have paragraphs "Rational Functions and Asymptotes" and
    "Graphs of Rational Functions"?
    g(x) = 1/f(x) is a rational function.
  10. Oct 25, 2005 #9

Homework Helper

Tom Mattson had it right. You need to look for intercepts and asymptotes. Look at the reciprocal function:

You need to consider what values of x will cause the function to go to zero, infinity, etc. It's always good to look at limits as x goes to zero and to infinity. You also need to consider what value of x will make the denominator go to zero (meaning what for the value of the function?)
  11. Oct 25, 2005 #10
    what ive atleast been told, ad seems to be a fairly easy way to look at it is to call all the x values in the equation y, then all the y values x ( f(x) for ex would be y.. the changed to x ) first of all, then to solve for y -

: the first part i allways found confuzing, and useless at best, so in otherwords just switch around the equation to solve for X after you have named f(x) or f(q) or whatever "Y".

and oh yes- as mentioned above, make sure to disclude answers that will give you nonreal numbers
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?