Graph Transformations: y=1/x to y=x+3/x+1 & y=2x/x-1

In summary, when transforming the graph of y=1/x to y=x+3/x+1, it is important to use parentheses to avoid confusion. For the second equation, y=2x/x-1, the parentheses are also necessary in order to correctly interpret the equation as 2x/(x-1). It is important to pay attention to these details when solving equations.
striker_77
Describe the transformation on the graph of y=1/x needed to obtain the graph of each of the following:

a) y= x+3/x+1

b) y= 2x/x-1

im stuck on how to answer this question...how would i solve this?...thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Learn to use parentheses. It is important, and you seem like a kindergarten pupil when forgetting them.

Most peope would interpret x+3/x+1 as x+ (3/x)+ 1. I suspect that you mean (x+3)/(x+1).

Most people would interpret 2x/x-1 as (2x/x)- 1= 2- 1= 1. I strongly suspect that you mean 2x/(x-1).

I would also point out that these look a lot like homework. I'm moving this thread to the "precalculus homework" forum.

1. What is a graph transformation?

A graph transformation is when a mathematical function is adjusted or modified in some way, resulting in a change in the shape or position of its graph.

2. How do you graph y=1/x?

To graph y=1/x, you first plot points on the coordinate plane by choosing various values for x and calculating the corresponding y values. Then, connect the points with a smooth curve to create the graph.

3. What does the transformation y=x+3/x+1 do to the graph of y=1/x?

This transformation shifts the graph of y=1/x three units to the left and one unit up. It also changes the shape of the graph, making it more curved near the origin.

4. Can you explain the transformation y=2x/x-1 in simpler terms?

This transformation multiplies the x-values by 2 and then subtracts 1 from each x-value before calculating the corresponding y-values. It results in a steeper and narrower graph compared to y=1/x.

5. How do you graph y=2x/x-1?

To graph y=2x/x-1, you can use the same steps as graphing y=1/x, but with the added transformation of multiplying the x-values by 2 and subtracting 1 from each x-value before calculating the y-values. Alternatively, you can also use the transformations to modify the graph of y=1/x, as explained in question 3.