1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformer analysis

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    I am asked to compare analytical values of the loaded transformer with measeured values of the transformer. I have got no clue how to do that. The transformer is singl ephase 230/115V with rated secondary current 0.43 A.
    According to open circuit test the Rcore = 15.9kOhm, Xcore = 10.5kOhm. From SC test Req= 80 Ohm,
    Xeq = 33.8 Ohm, Zeq = 86.8 Ohm

I have values of load test as follows. The load is connected to secondary R= 150k Ohm,
    Vp = 211V, Ip= 24 mA, Pp = 3.2W, Vs = 115.1, Is=0.75 mA.

I am not sure what to do with that data. I also dont know how to find actual efficiency of the transformer. What is the power output of that transformer?
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What exactly is "Rcore" and "Xcore"? Also your "ewq" parameters. How exactly were they measured?

What you should have measured id

4. Apr 14, 2012 #3
    have you been introduced to an equivalent circuit model? I would guess that you have to compare your results from the 150k loaded experiment, to the results from the open and short circuit experiments.

5. Apr 14, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What exactly are "Rcore" and "Xcore"? Also your "eq" parameters. How exactly were they measured?

What you need is:

with no other connections to the transformer:
    primary inductance L11
    primary resistance R1
    secondary inductance L22
    secondary resistance R2

with primary excited:
    secondary voltage, open-circuit secondary: V2(oc)
    secondary voltage, loaded secondary: V2(150K)

You might also determine the reverse voltage gain, i.e. V1(oc) and V1(150K) with V2 excited, although that should be redundant.

EDITED:
    Not sure what the intent here is. Looks like you are to do just the unexcited measurements (the first four) and then assume a fully coupled transformer (k = 1.0) and compare the caculated output voltage with the measured one. But I'm just guessing.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook