1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformer ? and current

1. Mar 22, 2010 #1
    like in a car when electrons flow through the battery to the coil , the coil is like a transformer using coiled copper wire to up the voltage to give the spark plugs a hotter spark. I am not sure where this energy is coming from , so are we actually getting more electrons to flow per second and after it goes through the coil . does the coil allow it to draw more current from the battery.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

Lok

Basically, all that matters is that total energy is conserved so energy per secons is :

P=U*I so P is a constant in a transformer ( at least consider it so)

If so then IF p=5W there are an infinity of possibilities for U and I. Like U=5 I =1 or I=5 U=1 etc.

That is what happens in a transformer, energy is the same it is just expressed differently.

For different ways transformers can be made consult wikipedia.

I"ve made the exemple in direct current for easy understanding :P

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You have the wrong idea about what a transformer does: A transformer keeps the energy constant while increasing the voltage, which means fewer electrons per second going through the secondary side than the primary side.

5. Mar 23, 2010 #4
    i see thanks for your answers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook