Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformer bulb brightness

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1
    The bulb connected to the input of a step-up transformer is less bright than a similiar bulb connected to its output. Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2009 #2

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Because there is more voltage at the output of a step-up transformer than at the input.

Lamp brightness depends on supply voltage. It gets brighter as the voltage increases.

4. Dec 7, 2009 #3
    I have a question regarding bulb brightness but it is not particularly scientific as it is fictional for a humorous short story I'm writing. The main character is fooling around with electricity when I huge power surge spike runs into his lab wiring. Would that explode the light bulbs or is there some kind of bulb, industrial strength, whatever, that could withstand a gigantic power surge spike and getting blinding bright for a second or so?

Thanx for your help. :)

5. Dec 8, 2009 #4
    funops,

You better start a new thread.

I have seen a lot of times electronics equipment failiures attributed to high voltage surges by the vendor. I have never heared a bulb or light becoming victim of that surge.

6. Dec 8, 2009 #5

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I've seen 'country-rated' lightbulbs (manufactured by Philips, so I assume it's legit) that indicated they'd withstand the surges and sags seen after kilometers of transmission lines. However as a city-slicker, I have no idea of how serious of an issue this actually is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook