1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformer engineering problem

1. Mar 13, 2004 #1
    Homework problem:
    A transformer on a pole near a factory steps the voltage down from 3900V to 220V. The transformer is to deliver 1180kW to the factory at 91% efficiency. Find the power delivered to the primary in kW.

What I've done:
    Well, I thought that power in equals power out. So I worked all the math to prove that and used P=IsVs, solved for Is then used that to find Ip (Ip=VsIs/Vp). Then found P=IpVp. I got 1180kW! I then calculated in the efficiency--not correct. And then in the follow up question, I found out that my Ip isn't even correct. What's wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Transformers

Sounds like you are going in a circle.

True, power in = power out for an ideal transformer. A nonideal one will waste some of that power. If I read the question correctly, the first part just asks for what input power is needed to get the output power given, given the efficiency:

Pin X 0.91 = Pout

4. Mar 13, 2004 #3
    transformers

I did that but my silly internet homework submission page is saying it's not correct. That is not the first time it's said that so...at least I know I'm doing the problem right and thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

5. Mar 15, 2004 #4
    You don't need to know anything about voltage and current to do this. All you need to know is the power out and the efficiency. It is supposed to be 1180 Kwatts out. So, figure the efficiency from that. Can't help you with your internet problem though. Sorry.

P.S. Why did I just post this when Doc Al did it so nicely with just a formula?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?