1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformer help

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    Using characteristic diagrams, describe how a Transformer produces a complex waveform from a sinusoidal input.

can someone in the community please help me with this , ref. to a web informative page etc would be fantastic as any i find are way to complex for the level that i am at ( hnc ) any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Complex" can mean different things depending on the level you're at. (Hnc = what?).

Trnasformers will change the phase of an input voltage; that's considered 'complex' mathematically.

Transformers can also distort an input voltage (generate harmonics). That's another kind of 'complex' waveform.

4. May 29, 2012 #3
    Thanks man , hnc ( higher national certificate) is the course in the u.k that im doing that will hopefully be a stepping stone to greater things

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook